Thursday, July 10, 2014

Just Me and the Kids



I am going on a vacation with the kids this weekend. Just me and my brood. No husband. We will be traveling about 8 hours by car to southeast New York to visit with my extended family. The kids are super excited as am I.

My family lives in the Hudson Valley area, so there is plenty to see and do. We plan on taking several trips while there in order to explore an area that is rich in history. I will be sure to take lots of pictures - although Bob is the real photographer in our family - so I am not sure of the quality of pictures you will get from me. Nonetheless, I will be showing you our week when I get back.

I would be lying to you if I said that I wasn't nervous about being so far from our medical community (and Bob) given Sarah's medical history. Because we are going on 5 weeks now with no issues I am on edge a bit more than normal waiting for the proverbial shoe to drop. She did wake up yesterday morning and told me that her eyes were not doing well, but then her issues appeared to have cleared up by the afternoon. I am not sure if this was a fluke or if that issue was a preview of a relapse to come. Either way, I am constantly looking for signs of visual deterioration. I wonder if I will ever be able to get to a point where I can just breathe and relax when it comes to Sarah's health.

cb3f9ebc-c06f-4664-9e1c-5006f27125d8.jpg (777×497)

I am looking forward to being able to have my kids all to myself this trip. No need to share them with Bob or with their friends. As they get older and older, I am not sure how many more opportunities I will have to steal them away from their lives so willingly. Soon it will be jobs or sports or any other number of things that will not allow us the luxury of just being able to pick up and leave on a whim.

I really love hanging out with my kids. They are growing into fun people who I truly enjoy being around.  I love doing anything with them that allows us to grow our bonds as a family. It will be a great time. I hope they end up cherishing this trip as much I plan on doing so.

As the great Billy Joel says, "I am in a New York state of mind..."





No comments:

Post a Comment