Thursday, November 19, 2015

It Is Just That Important To Me

As some of you know I made some changes to my food shopping strategy in order to try and save costs. One of those changes was to not buy so much organic food. I was still purchasing meat, eggs, and milk organically and will never, ever not do so.

Not buying mostly organic food really, really bothered me. There are a lot of reasons why I believe wholeheartedly in organic. I am not going to go into all of those reasons today, but if you have read this blog for any amount of time you most likely know what those reasons are as I have written about them in the past.

After buying non-organic food the last 3 weeks I just cannot do it anymore. I knew that I felt passionately about organic food, but I guess I didn't realize just how much so until I was no longer buying it. Yes, I am okay with my kids eating some non-organic food. Yes, when we go back to Ohio in two weeks I fully expect to eat non-organic food for the entire time we are there. I am not so hell bent on organic that my kids will never eat non-organic food, BUT I have learned that I am hell bent on serving  95% organic food in my own home.

It was making me feel sick to my stomach to shop and place food in my cart that I knew was most likely sprayed with chemicals so toxic that those applying it have to wear protective gear or that my grocery items were most likely spread with the sludge of factory farms to "fertilize" those crops. I certainly know that some of my organic items have probably made it through loopholes in organic laws  here or there and I know that I am being fleeced by some companies who may be masquerading their conventional food as organic.  I am much more willing to risk these things happening than I am to risk the health of my children and buying non-organic food.

Sarah said it best after I bought my first weeks  worth of non-organic groceries when she asked me if I would go back to buying organic food because she felt like she was being poisoned. Now, I fully know that she said this because I have talked to the kids a lot about why we buy organic foods in this house and she was just using some of what I have said to them and turning it around on me, but I don't care. It was enough to sway me in the opposite direction.

Besides all of this I wasn't really even saving that much money. Sure, I was saving some, but it isn't enough to convince me to stay on the non-organic food budget.

We all have things in life that we are passionate about. Things that we will not budge on because they mean just that much to us. The food I feed my kids is one of those things for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment