Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Settling In

Last weekend Bob took the four kids camping for the night while I had about 30 glorious hours to myself in my own home. Did I mention that it was glorious? Extended time alone. By myself. Alone. Without the hubby or kids. A-L-O-N-E!!! Here is a startling fact: since having children 16 years ago I have been alone in my house for the night one time. Yes, you read that right. Just one time and that was when Sarah was hospitalized and Bob (sensing that I was nearing my breaking point after spending night after night with her with no reprieve because I refused to leave her side) kicked me out of the hospital to go home for the evening. My other three kids were either with my mom & dad or my sister to whom I will always be eternally grateful for because of all of the help they gave to Bob and I that horrid 18 months when it seemed as if we were always on our way to the hospital or home from the hospital with Sarah. Anyway...I don't really count that as a night alone because my heart and mind were with Sarah that night even though my body was at home. The night alone was neither restful nor peaceful. But...last weekend. Holy cow. Unbelievable. It was so relaxing that I cannot wait to do it again. (Hint, Hint, honey.) I ran some errands like going to the library and the grocery store. Once I was home I just sat on my porch for hours and hours and read. And took the dogs for a walk and then read some more. A whole 30 hours without having to worry about anyone else, but myself. It was one of the best gifts Bob has even given to me.  Bob and the kids of course had a good time together and I am sure that they appreciated some time without me hovering over them. I think that I am the one that got the most out of it. And I am glad.

Sarah began her day camp yesterday. She had so much fun. The camp only has 3 other campers, but Sarah did not mind at all. She LOVED being with other people who are blind. It didn't (and doesn't) matter what age they are. She just wants to feel normal, and among other visually impaired people she does. It also helps immensely that all of the teachers at the camp are blind as well. Every. Single. One. And they are amazing successful. One just graduated with her Master's Degree in counceling and is going to be a school councelor this fall. Another owns her own montessori school like the ones you and I have in our own community. After one day I could tell that Sarah's confidence had grown immensely. What a gift this program is giving to her. It is allowing her to be with other children who are blind, but also allowing her to see successful adults who have not allowed being blind hinder them from a successful life. Do you want to read a scary fact I came across not too long ago?

70% of visually impaired people do not support themselves, but rather depend on the government to support them. 70 freaking %. I almost fell over when I read that fact. Of the 30% of adults who are able to support themselves 80% know Braille even though one can get along in life without actually knowing it because of today's technology. So....guess which camp Sarah is going to fall into. Yeah, the 30%. And guess who is so glad that she stressed learning Braille to her daughter? Yeah, this mama. After camp we are going to be jumping into contracted braille with both feet. My goal is to have Sarah be a proficient reader in this form of braille by this time next year. (She is already proficient in uncontracted braille, and a read a book to Bob and I last night in this format, but not much is printed using uncontracted braille, so contracted braille is vital to her success.)

I wonder why so many blind people do not work. I cannot even fathom Sarah not having a life and a job or a family or anything else she would have had prior to losing her vision. Depending on the government for Sarah's living as an adult is not an option for her (in Bob's and my eyes) because being blind isn't the end of the world. It is a stumbling block and nothing more. She is a fully capable human being able to contribute to society and support herself. 70%. Over my dead body.

Andy and Josh began soccer yesterday. Tryouts are next week. There 4 teams at the high school and there will be approximately 18 kids on each team. (The coach had 25 on each team in subsequent years, but is dropping that number this year.) There are over 100 kids trying out for these teams. Half of them are incoming freshman. The number of kids trying out is staggering. I feel very comfortable that my boys will make a team. The southwest more than adequately prepared them for playing up the in the northwest. The talent in the southwest is amazing and is top notch in my opinion. My boys were lucky to get exposure to that level of talent. The boys like the kids that they met yesterday. They said that the boys were very welcoming. (This is something that Andy did not feel in the southwest.) Josh even made his first "kinda" acquaintance. (Per his words.) I am hoping that my boys can make the same team. I love watching them play together. There is no way that either of them is going to make varsity. There are just too many kids trying out and enough kids with good talent that they will not be in the top 18 players, but I am hoping that they can each score a spot on the first JV team. (Josh's fear and mine too is that one of those JV teams will be solely for freshman. I don't want to sound like a cocky ass, but Josh is a really solid player. I am not sure he could really benefit from playing with a bunch of other freshman especially since we are no longer playing in an area with the consistent caliber of players the southwest offered. But what do I know? I am just a biased mom.)

Elizabeth is hoping to play recreational soccer this fall. I am trying to find a team for her. In the meantime, she is busy making friends in the complex where we live. She is excited to begin classes in a few weeks at the coop we have selected to be a part of.

We are very much settling in to life in Portland. We still plan on taking weekend trips although I think that this will wane a bit as we get into a life with kids and the time commitment this requires. We plan on taking a day trip this weekend to Hidden or Mirror Lake. I will be sure to post pictures.


No comments:

Post a Comment