Monday, August 3, 2020

July's Reading List

It felt good to dedicate more of my time reading this month.  Reading is one of my absolute favorite things to do and I was happy to get back to doing more of what I enjoy. 

Here are the books I read in July:


I loved this book. It wasn't until after I read it that I saw that it sparked controversy because it was written by a white author to a (primarily) white audience. Despite the issues over who should have written this book and to what kind of audience, I loved it because it shows why people feel compelled to leave their homes to seek out a safer life in America. I am pretty passionate about immigration. I believe that it is an issue of compassion for people who live in circumstances that I will never have face as an American. This book reinforced by beliefs about why people leave their homes in the first place. I would definitely read this book again. 

The Upstairs Wife: An Intimate History of Pakistan
I am on a Middle Eastern kick right now, and have been for the last few months. I am particularly interested in the plight of women living in the Middle East. This book was one that I would probably read again and most likely purchase. Middle Eastern women amaze me because of their strength and resiliency despite living in some of the most oppressive circumstances imaginable. 

King John: Treachery and Tyranny in Medieval England: The Road to - VERY GOOD

I love reading books about history. I think of all of the topics to read about history is my favorite. That being said, I think that this was a little bit too far back for my interests. This book takes place in the 12th and 13th centuries. I love reading about the 1700's+. Those centuries fascinate me. And maybe I would enjoy learning about history before that time period, but if this book was any indication of what reading about that time period would be like, I think I will pass. It was informative, but the narrative just didn't really strike me as all too interesting. 


I was surprised I picked up this book. I saw that a public figure I occasionally check up on had read it and was trying to implement some of its practices in her own marriage. It is a book on Christianity which I did not think I would like especially given my current feelings on God, etc...I actually enjoyed this book. I don't know that I would read it again, but I am glad that I read it once. It made me think about some things and I enjoy when a book does that. 




I was really looking forward to reading this book. I enjoyed Glennon Doyle's first books so much that no only did I purchase them, but I have read them multiple times. I did not feel this way at all about this book. I will most likely not read it again and I will not buy it. 

There were definitely some gems in this book, don't get me wrong, but I felt like too much of this book was recycled stuff - stuff I had either read before in previous books, or stuff that was shared on the author's Instagram (both life experiences and snippets of this book). I also felt like the book was choppy and there was no real story line. 

I know that this book is beloved by so many. I see the reviews and I see its ranking on the New York Times bestseller list, but it just wasn't for me. 



Books Read:

January  - 7
February - 8
March  - 7
April - 2
May/June  - 5
July - 5

2020 total - 34

No comments:

Post a Comment