Wednesday, February 25, 2015

When The Living Is Easy

I am keenly aware that life is not always fair or nice. I would venture to say that, as we age, most of us have faced this reality and its cruelness at least once. So when life hands me a day that is stunning in its ordinariness and beauty I always try to take a moment to pause and thank God for the simpleness and gift of this luxury. I appreciate these days so much. They almost make me want to cry out to the heavens because I understand the other side of the coin. I have lived that dark side more days than I care to remember. Days like the one the kids and I had today are a blessing. I cannot even begin to describe adequately how deeply the gratitude seeps out of me on days like today. Ordinary days filled with simple pleasures - what a gift.

A rare cloudy day on Saturday.
The day started off with me waking up with a headache. I really wanted to spend the day in sweatpants and a sweatshirt and just hang around the house with the kids, but instead I decided to shower, get dressed, put on make up and blow dry my hair out. I have to admit that I felt much better after doing those things even if my headache wasn't completely gone. My attitude changed from one of having to just endure the day to one of making the day something fun.

You can see the rain falling over the valley.
After doing some school work the kids and I ventured to the library where all of the kids (except Andy who waited in the car because he has too many books he is reading right now - he read in the car) went into the library. Even Josh - who loathes reading - found some books to pick out. Sarah and Elizabeth  love audio books and so they each picked out a couple to listen to.

The flash was too bright for Andyman!
I had decided that I wanted to get out of a school rut that I could see coming and after going to the library I took the kids to an amazing hiking trail in the mountains. We were ill prepared for the wind at that altitude, so we made a pact to come back to that spot tomorrow to actually hike the trail. I cannot wait to show you pictures because the scenery took my breath away.

Josh getting ready for practice yesterday.
I felt so much better after having been up in the mountains. For me, there is nothing like the clarity that nature can provide. I find that I tend to take a thought or an idea and mull it over so much that I make a big huge deal about nothing or I make something complicated that is really quite simple. When I am in nature whether it be the woods, mountains, ocean, or desert I tend to think clearly and with a clarity that points the way to what is really important to me in this life.

The kids and I then went to lunch at the Olive Garden. (Bob is out of town this week on business and does not like the Olive Garden at all, so I thought I would take the opportunity while he was gone to treat the kids to late lunch.) We had a great time.

Our bounty from the Home Depot. 
Afterwards, we went to the Home Depot to pick up some seeds for my garden and some flowers for some planters I have. The kids and I had a great time while there. They were completely silly and made what could have been a very boring trip for them a riot.

To close out the day Andy has soccer practice and the girls have gymnastics.

The sun was shining brightly and the day ended up warming up quite a bit despite its chilliness this morning. (I know I have no pity regarding the temps from my Northern friends.) It was such an awesome day. The ordinariness of it was its beauty. I really, really am truly blessed.


Lily apparently has had it with my driving and wants to take over herself. 
Sarah listening to her audio book. 



Andy texting Paige. 
Josh - reading a BOOK!!!

Sarah's braille writer. 




Elizabeth listening to her audio book while playing Legos. 


No comments:

Post a Comment