Saturday, March 7, 2015

Josh's First Game

Which of these is not like the others? 
I woke up this morning with a bittersweet feeling in my stomach. I knew that today was Josh's first game as a Rio Rapid and I was feeling both excited and sad. I was excited because Josh has worked so hard these last few months trying to learn as much as he could from his new coach while also learning the ins and outs of the team dynamics he had just joined. A lot of the boys on Josh's team have been playing together for as long as the boys on the team that Josh had come from in Ohio - which is to say - they have been playing together most of their lives. So when this new kid shows up - a kid who has an undeniable passion for soccer - a kid who doesn't go to practice to play or joke around, but rather is a serious kid that goes to  practice to learn. Well, let's just say it took some of the kids took a bit of time to warm up to Josh. It was also a sad morning because this was first game Josh had played in for many, many years in which Coach Boorman wasn't at the helm of the team. I loved the way Coach Boorman coached Josh. Josh loved it too. (He still does.) Josh flourished under Coach Boorman's direction. He grew as a player and as a teammate while under this wonderful man. He gave Josh the foundation that he will build upon for the rest of his soccer career. I was sad because I missed my soccer family. I love the bond that we had whether it was through friendship or just as soccer acquaintances - whatever it was - it was special. I know that I may never find what I had in Ohio with another group of parents which makes me all the more the more thankful that I got to experience it while I did.

Josh woke up this morning with butterflies in his stomach. He always gets butterflies, so this was nothing new. We had talked about how we just hoped that he would get some playing time - that starting the game was most likely out of the question, but that we would be thankful for whatever play time he got. Josh agreed with me as we talked and said that he would be surprised if he started the game, and that as long as he got on the field he would be happy.

He looked so different in his uniform. But so very handsome. This little boy that I have watched over the years has grown into a fine young man. This was never more evident than this morning when Josh walked up to me and nervously asked me how he looked in his uniform. I teared up (of course!) because I knew that playing this game was both as exciting and sad for him as it was for me. I could see it in his eyes and hear it in the tone of his ever changing deeper voice. I told him that he looked wonderful. His smile told me that he was ready. Ready for this new chapter in his life. Ready to build upon the greatness and the gifts of those who came before who helped prepare him to be the soccer player he is today.

My how he has grown...
When we got to the field I watched Josh warm up with his new team. I watched the ease in which he blended in with this new team. I watched how, despite some of their initial unsureness of him, he was one of them now. After a while as the team was getting ready to take the field he discreetly walked over to me and said, "Mom, I am starting the game." I could not believe it. This kid, the one who works his butt off at every practice, the one who lives, eats, and breathes soccer, earned a starting spot on his new team. He was so proud of himself. And I was too. I smiled at him and congratulated him quietly. It meant so much to me that his coach could see his passion for the game. Could see his hard work and skill and rewarded him with the coveted starting spot.

Team huddle right before the game.
He ended up playing left midfield (he initially thought he was going to play right striker). He played most of the game and came out for only about 15 minutes total between the first and second half. His play was amazing. Normally, I have some piece of constructive criticism for him, but not this game. This game was beautiful. He played with a grace I have not seen in him. I sat with a lump in my throat most of the game and just thought to myself, "He did it. He worked his butt off, and he did it. He is playing the game he loves with all of his heart, and he is owning it".  I could not have asked for a better game.


It was awesome too because the parents for both teams made me look quiet. (Yes, my fellow Black Tiger Soccer Family - I was the quiet one - even with all of my cheering. That should tell you how crazy these parents are - and I mean that as a compliment - as I am crazy right along with them.) People were yelling in English and Spanish. Coaches were yelling in English and Spanish. I was my in my element.

In the midst of it all I found myself thanking God for allowing me to get to experience this new soccer family. Thankful that he put me with a bunch of parents as nutty as I am about the sport. I am exactly where I need to be.

Corner Kick!
 I also found myself thanking God for the family I came from. Thank you all of my soccer parents and kids who played on the CF Fire and CF Black teams. I miss you guys terribly. It was honor to be screaming on the sidelines with you (well, most of you just allowed me to scream while you watched quietly). You will always have a special place in my heart.

To Tommy, Hiland, Matthew, Michael - thank you for being such good teammates to Josh and for making up the core of the team, as others fell away for one reason or another, you remained on the team season after season.

Setting up for a penalty kick. 


I love this picture...


 To Logan - thank you for being such a great best friend to Josh. He misses you as do I.

To Boorman - thank you for becoming like a son to me. You are a bigger gift to our family than you will ever know. My boys truly think of you as a brother.

To Coach Boorman - I will never, never, in a million, billion years ever be able to show you my gratitude. You took a 6 year old little boy with a love for soccer and helped shape him into the 12 (almost 13) year old young man he is today. He loves you and misses playing for you, but is so glad that he got a chance to be a member of your team for the 6 1/2 years. Thank you for all of the memories. Thank you for the foundation.

 After today's game I realized that everything is going to be alright. I will always cherish the past, but it is time to let go and keep my eyes on what is right before me.


No comments:

Post a Comment