Monday, December 21, 2015

Farmer Elicia?

One thing I have learned without a shadow of a doubt after living in New Mexico is that God will put me exactly where I am meant to be. This is reassuring to me because it has allowed me to surrender some of my neurotic control tendencies in regards to what our family's future holds in terms of where we will be moving to next. Time and time again I have had to tell myself that God will bring us to the exact city/state that we are meant to live in at the next juncture of our lives. In fact, I have told myself this so many times that I truly believe it and instead of the fear and anxiety I was feeling about our next location I now feel peace. (Which is only testimony to God's amazing power because I can be a nut job sometimes about the unknown.)

This hasn't stopped the kids and I from discussing what we would like our future to look like if it was up to us. And depending on what market we end up in we may just end up living on a farm - well, kinda. The kids and I would really like to buy a piece of land with as many acres as our pocketbook can afford. We would love to be able to have a huge garden with some egg laying chickens. We would love to have our property abut some woodlands as well. We would also love to build our own house since our needs & desires in a home are so unique compared with the most of America.  

Since we are talking about plans and dreams I might as well just tell you that I dream of rescuing as many farm animals as I can and running a small animal sanctuary as well. I would love to be as off the grid as possible. I would love to grow my own food so I no longer had to worry about being bamboozled by others growing my food claiming it to be organic when really it is not. (Did you see the latest Cornucopia egg report on how we are being scammed by large producers? Are we really surprised by this? Angered - yes, but surprised? No.)

And since we are really talking about dreams - I would love my garden to be big enough and productive enough to have a huge surplus that I can donate the extras to the local food bank. I would love to have a casita on our property in order to supply a small home for a family in need and in return I would just ask them to help me take care of the garden and farm animals.

Are these big dreams? Absolutely. Are they certain to become fulfilled? Only God knows. For all I know, our family could end up living a subdivision right next to your family. I am fully aware that this, too, is a distinct possibility for our family. And although it doesn't seem like the preferred place for me I do know that if God places us in that type of environment it is the exact place I am meant to me.

Nothing makes my heart happier than to serve others. From the moment I became a Christian I knew that my calling was to live as Jesus did and to try and help all of those whom no one else would help. I don't want to live behind castle walls separating myself from those in need I want to live right in heart of those in need. Just as Jesus did. Maybe those in need will be my neighbors in a subdivision in some yet unknown city and state. Or maybe, just maybe, my dreams will come true and I will be living the life of a farmer. How amazing would that be?

1 comment:

  1. Keep the dreams alive! I dreamed of having land for years, where we would have space to have chickens (and other animals someday) and to garden, plus space for the kids to live on the property when they are adults (if they choose to). I think one of the things that really helped us was that we wrote down exactly what we wanted (small house, 5 acres, no further than 15 minutes from my mom's house and no longer distance for my husband to drive to work, etc).

    I dreamed and prayed for years, and even starting searching for houses, to no avail. It wasn't until I stopped actively trying to make it happen(I stopped searching for houses for about half a year), when I finally let go and decided that it would happen if it was meant to, that the perfect place appeared. It is such an interesting experience learning how prayer works, how our passions are such an integral part of where we are meant to be and what we are meant to do.

    ReplyDelete