Friday, February 3, 2017

What We Did This Past Week - In Pictures

Another beautiful sunset. Even if I only get to see a portion of them because of where our unit is located I am still thankful I get to see them at all. Some units don't have any views of the sunrise or the sunset. I couldn't imagine that. 

The last of the sun hitting the clouds.

Just about time for dinner....


Andy and Bob started hiking together in New Mexico and have kept it up here. They will pick a trail that they both want to see that no one else really wants to do because it is so hard, plan out a day, and then spend it hiking.  Look how big that fallen tree trunk is. That is amazing. Those trees that you see in the background are the size of normal trees that you would see in most other parts of the country. The old growth trees here are unimaginably huge. They are amazing and breathtaking to see in person. 




A blanket of clouds rolling in in the distance. 



Andy left his initials in the wood of this sign at the summit. 




This mountain is pretty steep and so what started out on dry land ended up in the snow. Some previous hikers built this snow man on top of the mountain. 

As you can see below...no snow...

Those brown bald patches are mostly logged land. It is so ugly, but when I think about the alternative being plastic products in most cases I can put up with the ugly I suppose. It is helpful that in Oregon for every tree logged a new one has to be planted in its place. 


One of my favorite things about this winter here is that even though the sky is gray just about all.the.time. the moss is growing in abundance which gives the forest a sort of light that is not found in the summer. The moss brightens up the darkness of the forest and gives the illusion of not being so gray and overcast. This is a blessing. 

Taking a break on the way down...


Sarah taking pictures in the van while we were traveling to the beach for a day of fun last week. 



My sacred place...

I love when the light filters through the trees. A rare partially sunny day was all that I needed to see in the forecast to know that I needed to head to the ocean while I still can. 




Amazing. 


Breathtaking.



Stunning.

Josh was mesmerized by this tree root that was creating a small pool of water. It was pretty cool.

Doesn't this look like a hand? The tree roots here are awesome. 

Trying to scare Andy and Sarah who are coming up the trail behind him. 














Waiting for the waves to recede so she can race out to the waters edge before the next wave can catch her. I love this picture for some reason. 

Oh, my wild woman. Climbing rocks and making waves. Always. 

That pool of water from above makes its way down to the shore and then empties into the Pacific Ocean. 

As the tide recedes it becomes possible to walk around this rock where a whole variety of surprises await. There are small caves and rocks to explore. Low tide at this beach is the absolute best. 

Waiting for the right opportunity to sneak around the side of this rock.


Chasing the waves...

Clouds are rolling in...

Racing each other to see who can get to the water first.



When I get stressed out because of how damn expensive it is to live here and I wonder why on earth we said 'yes' to this lateral opportunity on a single family income with four children I think of places like this. And I remember that we won't be here forever. And money will not be tight forever. I try to think about the things I will miss when we are gone and I try to make sure that I am making the most of my opportunity here to explore all of the natural surroundings that I can. I truly feel in my gut that I will never live this close to the Pacific Ocean again and so I want to make sure that I am taking the opportunity to be here as much as life will allow me to so that I know that I made the most of this opportunity that I could. 

It is true that the Oregon Coast is not really swimmable. The water is way too cold and the air temperature never really feels overly hot to cause one to put up with the freezing temperatures of the water - not even in the peak of summer time, BUT is is breathtaking and captivating none-the-less.  

A sunrise...








That kid in the blue cleats, black pants, and white jersey on? That's my Josh. This is his opening game of the season with his new team. They won 5-2 with Josh scoring 3 of those goals. He looked amazing on the field. Soccer season is back. Life is good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment