Friday, July 21, 2017

Our 2017-2018 School Year

Last year was an overall good homeschooling year. I feel like we accomplished a lot. (Although it is never as much as I set out to do each year, but I gather that is rather common.) I hope that this year will be our best year yet. It is certainly helpful that this will be the start of my 7th year homeschooling. (2 years the first go at it and we are beginning our 5th year this go at it.) As time goes on I realize that I am not the only one who values our family's decision to homeschool. Each year (almost always during the winter months) I go back and forth about whether or not to send my kids back to public school. There are various reasons for this depending on the year, but each time I begin to really look at doing so either Bob or the kids talk me out of it. And each spring/summer/fall I am very grateful that I did not go through with the idea.

I ordered this years school books this past February when life was at its dullest here. There is something magical about new school books. I have always loved the promise and hope that new books bring. Every year as a child I would look forward to getting new school supplies and new school books. I still feel that way when the kids' books come in the mail. I know they like getting new books and supplies too, but just like I felt as a kid, they aren't too fond of those books after using them for a few weeks.

In terms of a homeschooling method, I have always enjoyed The Classical Education model. Having four kids doing school work means that I cannot follow that program to a 'T', (there just isn't enough of me or hours in the day to go around) but it is something that I strive for. I feel like of all of the methods of homeschooling that one fits our family the best. I have gone back and forth on various different styles of educating my children, but always seem to fall back on this one.

Our general school week will be to hit the books hard Monday - Thursday and then use Friday to catch up on anything that did not get completed Monday - Thursday. We will also spend Friday working on our weekly art assignment.


Andy - 11th grade

Math - Saxon Advanced Algebra II
Science - Apologia Biology
History - The Story of America
Government - United States Government
Geography - The Ultimate Geography Guide
Spanish - Rosetta Stone Homeschool Edition (Levels I-V)
Braille - Taught by Sarah
Grammar - Saxon Grammar 8
Writing - Saxon Writing 8
Spelling - SpellingUSee Levels E & F
Great Books - (We will be reading 8-10 classic books this school year. We will start by finishing up Uncle Tom's Cabin which started at the end of last school year.)
Life Skills - 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens
Health - High School Health
Logic - Mind Benders Puzzles

Joshua - 10th grade

Math - Saxon Algebra
Science - Apologia Biology
History - The Story of America
Government - United States Government
Geography - The Ultimate Geography Guide
Spanish - Rosetta Stone Homeschool Edition (Levels I-V)
Braille - Taught by Sarah
Grammar - Saxon Grammar 8
Writing - Saxon Writing 8
Spelling - Spelling Workout Level G
Great Books - Uncle Tom's Cabin
Life Skills - 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens
Health - High School Health
Logic - Mind Benders Puzzles


**Andy and Josh share a lot of the same subjects. This makes it both easier to teach them and also for them to help each other. They both completed Geometry last year, but instead of having Josh skip Algebra altogether (he is really good in math) I am going to run through that with him this year.**

**Both the boys math and science come with teaching DVD's so they will basically watch a lecture and do their book work and assignments with little help from me which is awesome because I loath science. If they do need my help though I have my own set of teaching material that I can use to help them. Even though they will be working independently on these two subjects I will still be checking their work daily. **

Sarah - 7th Grade

Math - Saxon 7/6
Science - Astronomy
History - The Story of the World Volume I
Geography - The Ultimate Geography Guide
Latin - Latina Prima
Braille - Finish contracted Braille
Grammar - Saxon 6
Writing - Saxon 6
Spelling - Spelling Workout Level G
Reading - Begin with Charlotte's Web in uncontracted braille.
Great Books - Finish up Uncle Tom's Cabin
Health - Horizon's 7th grade Health
Logic - Mind Bender's Puzzles

**Sarah (and Elizabeth) have already cycles through the 4 Story of the World books, but we are now beginning our second cycle and will be taking a more in depth look at the topics covered. Sarah won't make it through the whole cycle as she only has 2 years left before she begins high and will switch text books.)**

**Sarah is not required to take Great Books, but she loves listening to the classic stories that we read that I include that in her daily assignments.**

Elizabeth - 5th Grade

Math - Saxon Math 5/4
Science - Apologia Astronomy
History - The Story of the World Volume I
Geography - The Ultimate Geography Guide
Latin - Latina Prima
Braille - Taught by Sarah
Grammar - Saxon 4
Writing - Saxon 4
Spelling - SpellingUSee Level B and C
Reading - Who Was?
Health - Horizon's Health Grade 5
Logic - Mind Benders

Art will be done once a week as a guided activity. Each of the kids satisfies their gym requirements through sports, the workout room, horseback riding, hiking, etc...They get their music exposure from Bob.


So....that's what our school year will look like this year.

Image result for quote on homeschooling






No comments:

Post a Comment