Thursday, August 17, 2017

A Birthday Girl - Miss Elizabeth

Today is Elizabeth's 11th birthday. She wanted to spend her birthday in Ohio with extended family as she misses having the ability to do so since beginning our life living as nomads. Bob and I were able to grant her wish as we didn't go out to Ohio as a family this summer, but are doing so in groups of two. (Andy and Josh went out for the month of June. Elizabeth and Bob are there now. Sarah and I are planning a super quick trip to Ohio at the end of September so that we drive to NY with my mom and dad to see my grandparents.)

From what Bob and Elizabeth have told me she spent her day just as she wanted to. She and her cousin, Leah, went to Fun-n-Stuff to ride rides and play games followed by lunch as Swenson's. (A favorite Ohio burger joint in our family). She then went back to my in-laws for cake and presents. In the evening she drove up to see my sister's family and had dinner and watched movies with her cousins and my parents. (She originally wanted to go to the drive-in movie theater, but it ended up being closed.)

Over all, I think she had a good day. I know she was torn about not being with the 6 of us on her special day, but we promised that we would celebrate her birthday when she got back to Oregon.


I am proud of Elizabeth. She is a firecracker. She is a dare-devil and very high spirited. She is also one of the most thoughtful people I know. She is always looking out for the underdog and the left out and including those people. She has heart of gold especially when it comes to her sister. I imagine that it isn't easy having an older sister who is abled differently, but Elizabeth handles it all with grace.

She is no longer a baby. Nor is she a little girl. She is slowly becoming a young lady. Watching her blossom is a gift and a privilege.

Although there are still days when I go to bed worn out from her antics those days are growing fewer and farther between. There were many years when her daring spirit would wear me out completely, but now I watch her fearlessness with amazement. Not many people are willing to take the risks she does. Not many people see something they want to do and jump into it without giving it a second thought like Elizabeth does. What I once considered a negative attribute I now consider an extremely positive one. I am glad that she is who she is and who she has always been from the moment she was born.

Life certainly is much more exciting with people like Elizabeth around. I just wish there were more of them.

Happy Birthday, my dear!

No comments:

Post a Comment