Monday, September 24, 2018

As Close To Perfection As It Gets For Me

Summers in the Pacific Northwest are magical. Day after day of non-humid sunshine-y weather. Only a couple of weeks of really hot days. Amazing. Equally so, nothing beats the Southwest's winters. Only 6 weeks of cold-ish weather in Southern New Mexico. Sun all the way through. February is in the low to mid-80's. That sure beats the Midwest and East Coast to me.

But Spring and Fall? The Midwest (and East coast too) have those two seasons perfected. And between the two fall takes the cake by a landslide. The horrid humidity of the summer months (my least favorite season in the Midwest BY FAR) are seemingly gone. In its place are an abundance of days filled with puffy white clouds rolling by lazily in the sky. Windows are thrust open. The house is deep cleaned. Apple picking is done over and over. And my favorite part of all: corn mazes.

In all of the places we have lived, NO ONE beats the Midwest in their corn mazes and pumpkin patches. This is THE place to be for the most fun, most creative, best corn mazes and pumpkin patches in all of the United States. Seriously. All of my kids (and this is getting harder and harder to accomplish as they all age) are super excited to head out to the corn maze that opens next weekend in a nearby farm. After four years of super disappointing pumpkin patches and lame-o corn mazes we are ready to rock-n-roll this year. 

Yesterday was near perfection for me. The windows were all open. The sun was shining through into the house. Beautiful clouds decorated the sky. Football was on TV. I was in my element deep cleaning the house. I actually stopped myself at least twice and just soaked in how much I appreciated (and very much still do) being here in this season. I think as a person ages and goes through really hard times she realizes and appreciates the moments of grace that are given to her. I know that I certainly do.

I got all of the cleaning completed that I had on my 'To Do' list. I got to top the night off watching Chris and Al on Sunday night football. (I love watching the NFL. Chris and Al are my most favorite, favorite commentators. We are on a first name basis only.  Joe Buck and Joe Montana are my least favorite if you are wondering.)

I feel like Fall is God's gift to me for making it through the Midwest summer. (Because they are my least favorite season here. I would take winter over summer in a heartbeat. When you move to a place that has very little humidity in the summer - like just about anywhere out West -  it completely and utterly spoils and ruins you to ever appreciate humid summers again.)

I plan on savoring every minute of this Midwest fall. I don't know how many of these I am going to get to enjoy before we head out to our next destination. I have it so good right now, and I am not gonna forget it.

Life is good in Indianapolis!

No comments:

Post a Comment