Monday, April 22, 2019

February Reading List

I didn't intend for so much time to lapse between this post and the previous post I wrote, but it has been a crazy couple of weeks and I haven't had the time to just sit down and write. I also have a bit of writers bloc. I think of things to share with you all  during the day and then when it actually comes time to write something I draw a blank. I don't want to just throw down nonsense on these pages, so I choose to stay quiet instead. I should carry a small notepad around with me so I can jot my ideas down; when I have a moment or two to write I can whip that out and write a meaningful post.

Anyway, I read a TON in February and then Sarah had her relapse; March and April have looked pretty bleak reading wise. And although Sarah is not yet in remission she has certainly stabled out a bit, so hopefully I can get back to reading at full speed because I miss it.

Without further ado here are the books I have read (I will post March and April together in one post because their number is so measly):

February:

I have an almost obsession with Teddy Roosevelt. I am not quite sure why, but I have read four books (three of whom were quite substantial in size) on the man. I am captivated by his life. I will say that of the three books that make up this Trilogy - this one was my least favorite. This book focused on Teddy's presidency while the other two books focused on his life before his presidency and after. I don't know that I would read this book again (as I would the other two), but never say never. 



I have a growing interest in the lives of the people living in Afghanistan - particularly its women and children. The interest began when I was reading The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled  Hosseini. Dear Zari is non-fiction and I would highly recommend it to anyone interested in learning more about the lives of women in a country like Afghanistan. I was appalled at the way women are treated. It blows my mind having the freedoms that I do living in the United States that there are women who have zero freedoms and are seen as nothing more than worthless beings whose sole job is to produce sons.


There is something fascinating to me about the Amish way of life. There ability to live a life well lived without all of the modern conveniences I have. I think because I someday hope to live off the grid in a tiny house somewhere out west I am drawn to their rejection of commonly accepted ways of life. 
The opening of this book is the best opening I have ever read in my whole life. Seriously. I was SO excited about this story that I annoyed the bejesus out of Bob just talking about the first 3 or 4 pages of the book. It was that good. I felt like the book was written just for me. Oh. My.Goodness. And then....the book was an epic failure in my mind. There too many story lines going on with unresolved plots. It almost should have been two books. One to describe the actual bike journey itself and then a second to describe the emotional journey Jedidiah was on. I was so disappointed with this book that I just wanted to throw it across the room with disgust. After having such a good beginning -it had an awful finish (and middle). I can almost, but not quite, say that this book was a waste of my time. Just writing my own little review about is getting me agitated. You may read it and love it. I did not. 

I have a fascination with Teddy Roosevelt and have read quite a bit about his life story. I was intrigued about the life of his relatives. I have been to FDR's home on the Hudson River and heard stories told by the tour guides about Sarah Delano Roosevelt. (They were not good.) I wanted to get a different perspective of her. This book is just that perspective. It was an amazing read. I will probably read it again.
Sarah and I read I am Malala for school. I was very interested in reading a book from Ziauddin's perspective of Malala's story. I don't think I would read this book again, but I was glad to have read it once, I suppose. 



Anyone who has been following my reading list posts for any amount of time knows that I am fascinated with Native American History - particularly the Lakota Sioux Indians.  While this book did not focus on that subset of Native Americans it was a pretty fascinating read in that it appears that most of the white children captured would have chosen to stay with their Native American families (or what became their families the longer they were held captive). I will most likely order this book from Abebooks (the best used book website I have ever found) in order to read the book again.

No comments:

Post a Comment