Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Cataract Falls State Park (#6 of 25)




Good old Smoky the bear






It has been a while since I have stood among a grove of pine trees such as this. We could all smell the scent of the pine needles. The smell was intoxicating. 

My crew (minus Josh who had to work)















This tree was actually pretty big considering we are in the Midwest. It came out of nowhere too. 











Meh. That is how I would rate this state park. I think we all would have liked it better and appreciated it more had we never lived out west, but we have been immensely spoiled when it comes to nature, so it takes a lot to wow us. It didn't help that it was really hot and really humid. It had just rained a bit the day before so the bugs were out in full force as well. This created some muddy, slippery downhill trails which caused our already cranky girls to become even more so. Seeing the covered bridge was cool, I will admit that. Bob, Andy, and I also really loved walking through the pine tree grove. I know it brought back memories of the Pacific Northwest to us all. The smell of the pine needles was amazing. 

We hiked about two miles. I could have gone on for longer, but our girls were so cranky that getting them home was more important that dragging them down another trail for another walk in the woods. I definitely don't think we will be revisiting this state park ever again. Hopefully, there will be less 'meh' state parks in our future and more 'holy cow this is amazing' parks. But we do live in Indiana, so I am not sure I can really expect much more awesomeness than we have already experienced at McCormicks and Turkey Run State Parks. Like I have said in previous posts, I do find the woods here comforting, so that is a bonus. I am not sure where we will be living in the next year, so I am trying to appreciate all of the good things the Midwest has to offer even if they are spectacular, take your breath away things. Sometimes, the comfort of the simple woods is just as important as being wowed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment