Tuesday, June 30, 2020

May/June Reading List

I have been absolutely horrible about keeping track of what I have read these last couple of months. I am fairly certain that I have read more than just this sampling that I am going to provide below, but for the life of me I cannot remember. Go figure. 

I didn't realize how long I have been keeping track of what I read each month until I was perusing through old blog posts looking for a certain picture. It was then that I noticed that I have been doing this for a long time; I also realized how much I love that I have kept track of everything (well, almost) that I have read over the course of the last few years. It is really cool (for me anyway) to see not only what I read, but what I thought about what I was reading. 

Anyway, here is my list of books that I remember reading these last couple of months. I promise that I will keep better track in the coming months of what I am reading: 

Large Family Logistics: The Art and Science of Managing the Large Family: Kim Brenneman

This book is one of my all time favorites from a homemaker's perspective. If I could only pick 10 books to keep forever this would be one of them. I LOVE this book. 

Cover art

I have been on a bit of a homemaking kick lately. After all, this is my chosen profession. I have been slacking a bit as the politics of life and quarantine have really been wearing me down. This book (and the one above) are huge inspirations for me. This is another top 10 pick of mine. 

The Lakotas and the Black Hills: The Struggle for Sacred Ground ...

This book was okay. I generally like history books about Native Americans. This was probably one that I wouldn't read again, but I was glad I read it once. 

Amazon.com: Mrs. Astor Regrets: The Hidden Betrayals of a Family ...

I love history books about old money. The Roosevelts, the Rockefellars, the Astors, the Vanderbilts  - all of those families fascinate me. This was a good book. I would probably read it again. 


I have a confession to make - I read this book thinking I was going to scoff my way through the whole thing and hate it. (Why I would choose to read something that I thought was going to hate I don't know.) The book ended up being okay. Definitely not something that I would read again, but also not something that I hated. I don't why I don't care for Jeremy and Audrey. There is just something about them that rubs me the wrong way. We lived near them in Portland, and would sometimes see them out and about at the restaurants that we would frequent. I think that they encompass for me the Portland experience: wealthy, hippy-ish, "I am trying hard not to be cool, so I can be cool", "life is so hard and difficult parenting my 1.75 children", "I know it all", kind of vibe. 



January books read - 7
February books read - 8
March books read - 7
April books read - 2
May/June books read - 5

2020 total - 29



No comments:

Post a Comment