Monday, August 23, 2021

Ordinary Moments

 I've been writing in this space for many, many years now - a little over a decade if my memory serves me correctly. Some of my children have begun to read the words I have written hear and look at the photographs that go with the stories I have been telling. I am now beginning to understand how much this space will potentially mean to them over the years as they get older and older. This is the only place where our lives unfold with both photos and words that tell a complete story - at least a complete story from my perspective. I never thought that my kids would enjoy to read the tales I have told, but I am finding out that I was very wrong. 

I am not very good at expressing myself to my children. I do not offer them praise any where near as often as they are deserving. I do not tell them I love them often enough either. I hope they do not carry on these traditions as I know the burden this lack of reinforcement can wreak on one's life. What do hope is that my children will see this space as one big gigantic love letter to them both collectively and individually. I also hope that this space will one day allow them to view me in a light other than their mother - although that is certainly the most important role I choose to take on.  

Life is such a crazy, wonderful, hard, beautiful thing. For those of us lucky enough to be here it passes by all too quickly. In an effort to slow down the go, go, go of my life - the constant need to be doing, doing, doing - I have begun to look for ordinary moments and photograph them. There are million of regular moments that pass me by every day just begging to be noticed and yet I do not see them because of this self inflicted disease called busyness. I am trying to halt this practice, but am not sure I will ever be rid of the desire to be doing, doing, doing. I hope I will though and Hope has carried me through some pretty hard things before, surely she can help carry me through this one? 

I will be sharing more ordinary moments posts in order to remind my future self when she re-reads these words that the ordinary moments are so important in life. I want to capture as many of these moments each day to remind myself that these glimpses simple pleasures are really what life is all about. It is not about doing, doing, doing. 

Favorite flowers

New Beginnings

Reading

Planning


Companion

Playing

Sun tea beginnings

Gladiola beauty

Morning light



First light





Breakfast
Baking


The quiet of morning
















No comments:

Post a Comment