Monday, August 8, 2022

Gearing Up For The New School Year

The Gregg family is in full back-to-school mode. Andy begins classes next week. Josh and my girls begin their classes the following week, but it seems like we are getting into the beginning throes of the busyness of the school year. 

I always associate new school years with fall - even if those school years fall well within the confines of summer (Indiana and New Mexico started their school year in July.) Fall is my favorite season and always feels a bit like a new year rather than the one we celebrate in January.  I love all things fall - football, soccer season, cooler weather, changing leaves, open windows, new expectations and hopes for the upcoming year. I love it all. 

Josh originally left for school on Wednesday of last week, but asked to come home yesterday and surprised me with a two-night unexpected visit. (The apartment that he was staying at until the dorms opened up were not his vibe and he wanted to come home to "peace and quiet".) He officially moves into his dorm tomorrow morning. That should be more to his liking as it will give him his own space verse sharing an apartment with 7 other soccer players. It was such a nice surprise for me to have him home. 

Josh's first soccer game is this Saturday. I am nervous for him as he is hoping to get more play time this year than last, but with 50-60 guys gunning for 25 first team spots and 11 starting spots, I am not sure that he will see that extra playtime. (I am hoping that he can see things out though because I feel like he will have a good shot at starting next year if he doesn't get too discouraged this year.) 

Andy is still at the community college, but is attending a new campus, so he and I plan on taking a drive down there on Wednesday or Thursday to scope out the campus and buy any books he may need hard copies of. He also wants to walk his schedule so he has a little bit of an idea of where to go on the 15th which is his first day. I am excited for him as he seems like a new man in a lot of ways after being on his own this summer and living in Ohio. (He is making dinner for the family tonight as one example of how he has changed.)

Sarah and Elizabeth don't begin choir until September this year, so that is nice. Soccer for Elizabeth should start somewhere around Labor Day. I need to look up the basketball schedule so that she can start attending those open gyms before tryouts in October. 

Sarah is a senior this year, so this is my last official year homeschooling her. I am trying hard to get in the right mindset and to just enjoy the hell out of this year with both of my girls home. It has been an honor and quite a ride homeschooling these kiddos. It is so bittersweet that one more of my kiddos is finishing up their journey with me. 

On another note - Sarah received her first college acceptance letter last week. She applied to (and got into) New Mexico State University. They have a good horse therapy program there which is what Sarah would like to get her degree in. She will be applying to three colleges in NC and has her heart set on applying to one Ivy League school just to say she did it. (I actually don't think the school is officially an Ivy League school, but it is pretty prestigious.) Which ever school will give her the most scholarship money is the school she will attend. I told her that if she ended up going to NMSU that I was going to be her roommate just for the chance to live in Las Cruces again.)

Sarah is still meeting with her Orientation and Mobility instructor and has made vast improvements in getting around on her own. She should be 100% ready to live on a campus somewhere this time next year. (Who knows maybe she will even have her guide dog by then - although a more realistic time frame is in two years.)

Lots going on in these parts as I imagine there is all over this country with kiddos already back to school or gearing up for it. 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment