Thursday, May 2, 2024

The Dog Days of Summer

 I absolutely love fall, winter, and spring (what little we have of it) in North Carolina. The temps are usually amazing, and although it does get cold in the winter, it doesn't get too cold. The mountains and beaches are empty of visitors from far away. The sun is usually shining, and it isn't oppressive. The snakes are hibernating for most of those seasons. The windows are kept open for most of fall and spring. 

 The summer? The summer here is the bane of my existence. I loathe the humidity that makes it feel so much hotter than it actually is. The stickiness, biting bugs, and heat that you cannot even get a respite from in the late evening/early morning hours is a version of hell for me that I do not enjoy. 

Summer is my winter. I do not like to go anywhere but from my air-conditioned house to my air-conditioned car to the pool or the lake, and then back home again. I am thankful that I have access to ways to keep me cool. I know that not everyone does, and I appreciate my good fortune at being able to have these tools at my disposal. But a person can be thankful for something and still despise it. 

We ended up turning the air-conditioning on at the end of April because we have been "blessed" with a preview of the summer to come with higher-than-normal temps this past week. I know I must sound like a curmudgeon, but I just needed to get this off my chest now so that I can pull up my big girl shorts and buckle up for the next 4-5 months of scorching days and uncool nights. 

Maybe I just need to split my time between the Pacific Northwest in the summer (the only time it is sunny), the Southwest in the winter, and the Southeast in the fall and spring? (Or perhaps I should just spend all of my time in the Southwest in a little place called Las Cruces?) Now that sounds like a plan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment