Friday, June 28, 2013

A Grateful Heart

How do you accurately describe to those around you - friends, family, friends of friends, people I don't even know personally - how much their generosity means?

How do you let them know that what they are doing makes your heart so happy it hurts? That their love is felt in the deepest parts of your being?

How do you let those around you know that it means so much that, they too, would do anything within their power to help my sweet girl be cured of MS?

How do you thank them all for showing you just how much your whole family means to them?

I do not have the answers to any of those questions. I wish I did though. Thanking them all seems like such a feeble attempt to describe the honest to goodness gratitude that I feel in my heart.

This collective group of generous  people has shown me more about selfless giving then I have experienced in my whole adult life.

When Sarah was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis I felt so small, insignificant, and powerless. I felt, for a short time, that in the scope of the Universe my family did not matter, and that I did not matter because if we mattered then we would not have been given such crushing news. How I have been proven wrong! The outpouring of love and support, not only for Team Hope, but in every aspect of our family life has shown me that not only do we matter, but we matter a lot to a lot of different people. The support for Team Hope has done more than just support a very worthy cause, it has shown me that no matter how small we may feel - we ALWAYS matter to someone.

Each day as I see the dollar amount increase for the amount raised in Sarah's honor I tear up. I tear up more now than I did when she was initially diagnosed to be quite honest. I tear up because every time someone donates, or tells me that they will be donating in the future, or offers to help our family out in other ways, it let's my heart know that the burdens of this journey are not mine alone - they are carried by my family, my friends, and even by those whom I do not know very well.

I do not know yet, how I feel about God. The jury is still out for me on that subject. What I can tell you though, is that if there is a God, he has many faces, and I see them all in my family, friends, and strangers I do not know, who have all taken the time to make my cause their cause.

I will never be able to show, tell, or verbalize just how thankful I am, but maybe that is just another gift that all of these wonderful people are trying to give me. Sometimes, maybe there aren't enough words to describe the heartfelt gratitude, but just the acceptance that those people know, when offering their support, that their gift is more than words can say. The beauty of that is truly one of the wonders of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment