Monday, July 1, 2013

Back to the Basics

I would like to say that things around here have been unsettled since Sarah's diagnosis, but truth be told things have been unsettled around here for a LONG time. There have been no rhythms or routines just organized (and sometimes - well many times - unorganized) chaos. I knew that something had to be done, but could not figure out what it was.

So, I thought about what I could change around here, and what needed to be done to make us feel whole again - after all - Bob was gone for 7 months and then Sarah's diagnosis followed shortly thereafter. I decided that I needed to really focus on living authentically again. I know that I have addressed the issue in the past, and I am certain that I will address the issue in the future, but I find that I must address it over and over again because it is so vital to my well being. I find that I veer from my path ever so slightly at first, so that I don't even notice I am off center, but then BAM it hits me hard, and I crash into a tree.

 I need to remember what it means to be authentically me because I have forgotten. In all of the hustle and bustle of our new life I lost sight of myself as the heart of our family, and I need to focus on that again. I need to remember that I am unique, and that sometimes being unique can be a hard lonely path, but staying the course is so vitally important to not only myself, but to those whom I was called to raise from childhood into adulthood.


I need to remember that staying the course with what I believe is what makes me feel at peace. Being at peace within myself makes me a better person which in turn makes me a better wife and mother, a better friend, daughter, and sister too.

So, I am going to remember that:

 I am a vegan, and that I am a vegan because I am compassionate about animals and despise the way that we currently raise them.

I need to exercise everyday because it makes me feel good.

Getting dressed in nice clothes (not frumpy) and doing my hair makes me feel better.

That I like getting up before my kids because it helps give me some alone time in the morning, and it allows me to begin my day with some time to journal and read.

That I am a conservative parent, and that it is okay to be a conservative parent - even if that means that my kids are the only kids not allowed to do certain things among their peers.

I like to - and believe in - making as many things from scratch. Bread, taco shells, soups, pizza, cookies, pretzels, lemonade, Popsicles, desserts, etc...

I believe in the power of my dollar.

That I like to feed my kids whole organic foods without being a crazy lady about it.

That I love having a larger family, and cannot wait to see if it gets any bigger.

That I believe in the power of family - especially larger ones.

That I love the teaching staff where my children attend school, but HATE the way the way we educate our children in this country.

That I believe in the power of homeschooling.

That I really, really like being a homemaker.

That I believe that homemaking is an art that must be learned.

As I remember and put these things into practice again I know that my soul will awaken, and my life will start to resemble the life that is authentic to me. Being unsettled in my life is an icky feeling, but I am glad that I am able to get things back on track because it feels oh so good. Getting back to the basics is what it is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment