Wednesday, July 24, 2013

The Best Kind of Day

Today was the best kind of day. Really and truly. The weather was perfect. Not too hot and not too cold - kinda reminded me of those autumn days that I look forward to each year. The windows were all opened this morning as the clouds rolled on through and the sun made its appearance in the sky. There was a perfect breeze that would gently blow through the house, and I repeatedly thanked God (yes, I actually did acknowledge His/Her/Its presence today) for allowing our family to experience such beautifully perfect weather on this mid-July day.

Chores were done this morning in the usual style, and then the whole family spent the day outside. I did the kids summer schooling outside on the picnic table today which the kids loved. They had no idea that we would actually be able to move our schooling around so that it accommodated our schedule and lifestyle. They were so excited when I suggested we do our reading and subsequent narration/review questions in the outdoors that they each dropped what they were doing and ran outside. They all seem to like what we are doing. Even the boys look forward to what they will be learning each day. Today as part of their assignment they had to gather up objects around the house and bury them in the sandbox in the backyard. Tomorrow they are going to pretend to be archaeologists from the future and dig up what their siblings burried in hopes to put together what type of society humans of today live in.

After our school work, we ate lunch, and then the kids began playing a made up game. They ended up playing together all afternoon, and are still playing together as I type this. I love, love, love hearing their giggles and laughter as they share these experiences together. I love their creative energy and the games that they make up. They have been playing for hours, and I have loved listening to them hour after hour.

I really needed today. Today reminded me of what a day will look like if we bring them home this fall. It was at times chaotic, but it was wonderful. Today was a day when I didn't have to worry about Sarah being too hot and overheating. MS seemed liked a distant dream. We were a family in our own little bubble today all enjoying each other, and the things that make us such a unique family.

If I could have days like today every day I would be in heaven. The world outside seemed as if it didn't exist, and it was just us. I love days like that. All too often our schedule is jam packed with this and that. It was so nice to just be able to relax and enjoy each other's company.  It was nice to remember our family motto - family first - and to put that into action today. We are all the better for it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment