Sunday, December 28, 2014

A Gem to Behold



I used to think that the Southwest was the ugliest part of the country. I always thought that this would be the least desirable place I would want to be. I couldn't have been more wrong. 

The land here is breathtaking. I find that sometimes the beauty of it brings me to tears. It is amazing here. It truly is. I am in love with the beauty of this state in a way that I never thought possible. 

There is something so sacred here that I cannot even describe. Maybe this sounds completely crazy to some - most even - but I feel the healing powers this land has to offer, and I soak them up every chance I get. 

I have always loved nature. I grew up surrounded by it with adults who also shared my love for it. I have always felt it had a healing property which was completely unique and separate from every and any other experience I have been exposed to. I feel most at peace within myself when I am in nature. I am able to think more clearly in nature than in any other place. 

The pictures below were captured on a hike Bob and I took the day after Christmas. This is a trail that is 5 minutes from our house. I can see this mountain clearly from my home. I hike this trail at least once a week, but try to do it two even three times if I can squeeze it in.  It is a pretty steep trail and takes about an hour round trip, but it is completely worth the effort because there is a beauty and a peace that comes from sitting on top of the mountain that is completely and utterly indescribable. 

I consider myself to be one of the luckiest people in the world. I still cannot believe that I get to live in a place that has such abundant beauty.  I am meant to be here at this stage in my life. I could not imagine being any other place. 



A look from about 1/3 up the mountain. 


This is my view when I get to the top of the mountain. AMAZING. I will never tire from this view. 


Me and Lily taking a much deserved break to admire the view and catch our breath. 


This is the view from the other side of the mountain. The clouds came through quickly and then passed right on by. The NM sky seems to go on forever. 



A view of the Organ Mountains as we go down the trail back to the car. 

Snow! (We didn't get any in Las Cruces proper, but the moutains did.)

A look back at the top of the mountain from 1/4 of the way down back to the car. 


Selfies!


6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Amber - it is so beautiful here. I think you would love it. We went on a trip yesterday to a place about 2 hours from our home in the mountains. I cannot wait to show you those pictures.

      Delete
  2. We've actually never hiked A mountain. Seems strange since we have lived here so long, but when we go hiking it is typically at Aguirre Springs. Seeing this pictures, now I want to go hike A Mountain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah - I hope you do check it out. I think it is awesome. Bob and I just got a hold of the names of some other trails that I think we are going to check out. I am curious to see how they compare to A mountain.

      Delete
    2. You've inspired me to get more into hiking the local spots. Now that Ian is getting older, this could become a regular occurrence for us.

      I love hiking but my husband just tolerates it occasionally. I'm realizing more and more over time that I need to just go ahead and do the things I love, and let him join me as he likes without any pressure. Since we homeschool, I should be able to find time to hike during our weekdays.

      I'm looking forward to exploring the nearby Dona Ana Mountains, where I have never been but they are so close to our new home here.

      Delete
    3. We'll have to try and meet up some of the time to go hiking together. Some of my kids like hiking more than others, but I think that overall they enjoy it.

      Delete