Tuesday, December 2, 2014

A Birthday Girl

Miss Sarah celebrated her 10th birthday yesterday. Her birthday is always a bit difficult to prepare for because it comes so soon after Thanksgiving. I always feel like each year we rush around to get her presents and decorations in order to get everything ready for her big day.

This year Sarah's birthday was especially important for a number of reasons: 1.) She was turning 1-0 and will now be a double digit girl for the rest of her life; 2.) It was our first birthday celebrated without her friends and family; 3.) She had a pretty crappy 3/4 of the year being hospitalized so much in 2014.

Because of all of these things I really put some effort into making sure that her day was awesome. It helped that she picked an amazing trip for our family to go on (more on that later). I think that she had a good day overall. She did say prior to going to bed that she had one of the best days of her life, but that it didn't feel like a birthday because she didn't have her family with her. I can understand that for sure.

I had more fun with Bob and the kids yesterday than I have ever, ever had. I laughed so much my stomach hurt at the end of the day - for real. I am normally wound pretty tight, but I just let loose and had as much fun with my family as I could. I told Sarah that even though it was her birthday I felt like she had given me a gift because I had so much fun with her, Bob, and the kids.

We ended up going to White Sands National Park - per Sarah's pick of how she wanted to spend her day. This park was the most amazing thing I have ever seen (minus Wellfleet, MA). Out of nowhere, in the middle of the desert, are these white sandy dunes that stretch for miles and miles and miles. The sand is soft and white. It looks just like snow - minus the cold temps and the melting. It was amazing.  It was breathtaking and stunning. I could go on and on about the magic of the place.

Here is what our day looked like:



The kids are allowed to pick whatever they want to eat for breakfast on their special day - Sarah asked for a cookie cake and Coca-Cola. 

Elizabeth's card to Sarah said - "Happy Birthday too you Sarah. Sarah, you are the most inspiyreing (inspiring) grl (girl) I now (know).


Bob reading a card to Sarah.

Add caption



Opening gifts...

Add caption








Owl socks from the kids.

The kids bought Sarah (with their own money) the hair rollers that she had been asking for.


Enjoying their coca-colas.

Getting ready to go in the shirt her daddy made for her. 




Me running up the hill. 

A look from the hill above down to the car.



The kids and I taking in the view.

Me running down hill with the kids.


Playing in our own version of snow...



Daddy and his girl.

Andy the scientist inspecting the sand. 

Getting ready to roll down the hill holding onto each other.


Ahhh...the life!

Getting buried in the sand. 







Sarah made a sand chair.

Wrestling in the sand. 

O-H-I-O



Playing with the sand. 









Making a sand angel

Sarah's sand angel

Driving around the parking lot with Daddy.

Josh and Sarah insisted on getting "footy" pajamas. We don't look like a homeschool family at all...nope! In foot pj's at 5 pm on a weeknight hitting a pinata in our front yard...nope, totally normal. Ha!

Sarah decapitating the pinata on her first try. 


Getting some late night gifts...


Me and my dude at dinner. (Elizabeth who does not like to have her picture taken is trying to get out of the way of the camera.)

Making a wish!

Facetiming Nana/Papa and Grandpa/Grandma.

No comments:

Post a Comment