Thursday, April 9, 2015

Love In A Box

This morning started out as a morning like most others.  I was taking Bob to work around noon (as he just began to work second shift a few days ago) and saw the most colorful packages I have ever seen sitting in front of my home. At first I was stumped as to who these beautiful packages could be from. I am expecting a package from Amazon and from Old Navy, but surely I knew that these boxes were not from either of these retailers. These boxes were decorated with love and it seemed to be pouring out of them. Upon closer inspection I saw that they were from an aunt and two cousins of mine. The packaging made sense once I saw who the gift giver was as she always sends my mom the most unique and amazing packages along with her thoughtful gifts. But still, I wondered, what could she possibly be sending to me? You see one of the boxes was addressed to my children. That was understandable. I figured that her kids had made something for mine. (And in way they did - as their box contained maple syrup that they most likely tapped themselves or knew of the family that tapped it.) But the other box? The bigger box? Well, that box was addressed solely to me.  What, I wondered, could she possibly have sent me?


 Inside this box were items beyond my wildest imagination. It was filled with love.  It was box whose contents said, "I hear you. I get you. I support you. I know where you are coming from. I know where you are trying to go." It was filled with amazing thoughtful, just truly perfect gifts for me. And the whole box was mine. A whole box of gifts - perfectly suited gifts! - just for me.!!! And sent to me just because! It isn't Christmas. It isn't my birthday. It is just some random ordinary day in my life.  That doesn't happen to me very often. In fact, I would venture to say that it doesn't happen to most of us very often. I think it is rare to get a gift that encapsulates all that we are and what we need exactly in that moment of our lives. Often we just purchase gifts to have something to give someone not really knowing what the recipient really needs or wants.

Inside this box were: books on knitting, a self help book, great magazines on a variety of subjects, a journal with a pen, some of my favorite tea with honey and a beautiful mug (with the inscription of Cornwall, CT - which happens to be the town in which the gift giver resides.), some bath salts, a beautiful labyrinth, candle holder with candles that burns essential oil, essential oils, tea light candles, lotion and chapstick, two chocolate bars, a gift card for itunes (so that I could download some music to rock out to), some inspirational cards, an incense stick, and a note.


 It rare that a gift can not only put a smile on ones face, but also in their heart. This gift put a smile in my heart. It was an amazingly perfect gift filled with perfect things and love. I am even more amazed at the gift box because the sender just bought a home (and I know how much money goes into doing that), is in school taking some college classes, and homeschooling her two young sons (among other things). Her life is very busy, so the fact that she took the time to put together such a perfect box filled with so many just awesome gifts meant the world to me.
 I really am blessed. Thank you, Missy, for putting together a package filled with love. You made my day. You made my week. You made me smile. Your gift - your thoughtfulness - meant the world to me. You touched my heart - for that I am grateful.


I will treasure and cherish the contents of this box and will think of you  as I consume these items. They will make me smile. They will make me feel loved.  I don't know if you will ever know how much this unexpected gift meant to me. I hope someday you find on your doorstep the kind of love I found on mine today.


No comments:

Post a Comment