Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Paying It Forward - An Unexpected Gift

The unexpected box that found its way to my doorstep a few weeks ago had a profound affect on me. As much as I loved the contents inside the box what I loved most was the feeling that I felt upon receiving a box of gifts - just for me - for no good reason other than to celebrate me. A box of love.

That box changed me. I know that may sound so silly, but it did. The thought crept into my mind that I should do this for someone else. Then that thought morphed into the idea that I wanted to do this for a lot of other people. I want to give other people the chance to feel the wonderful emotions that I had when I received this box. And I hope that, when the time is right for the recipient, that she will pay it forward to someone in her life.

I decided that I am going to send my boxes the women in my life first and then add men (if need be later). I feel that a lot of the time we women do a terrible job supporting one another and uniting with one another. We all have so much in common despite our differences. I feel strongly that sending these boxes will greatly strengthen the ties that I have not only with these women, but will help to strengthen the ties that those women have with the women in their lives.

I purchased the items today for my first unsuspecting gal today, and I was so excited!!! I cannot wait to paint my box (because that painted box on my doorstep was just as magical as the contents inside) and ship out the goodies I have purchased tomorrow. As much fun as it was to receive those goodies for myself, the act of giving new goodies away to someone else is infinitely more exciting.

And so it will continue. Every couple of months (as I can save up the money to do so) I will send out a new box to someone in my life. Some of the recipients will be people that I know very well and are near and dear to my heart. Some of my recipients will be those whom I do not know very well, but think that a box of love would be much needed.

I know that some of the these boxes items will be spot on. For others, I may give a gift or two that the recipient has absolutely no use for (despite my thoughts that maybe she could use the item). I think this will especially be the case with those that I am going to send boxes to that I do not know very well.

I have my first box ready to go. I also know who my second recipient is going to be already. Other than that I have no idea who I am going to send a box to. I have a feeling that a person will come on my radar at just the right time, so I am not worrying about anything beyond this first box.

Who would have known that something so simple could make such an impact on me? Who would have known that I will be taking this simple idea built on love and paying it forward to so many unsuspecting women. I never knew that the gift and the act of giving is a gift not only to the recipient, but also to the one doing the giving. I am truly blessed and I am so excited!!!! Let the giving begin!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment