Monday, September 14, 2015

Carlsbad Caverns



In the middle of what seems like no where sits Carlsbad Caverns. It is a place that, when we learned we were moving to NM, we wanted to come to before we were moved on again to the next location. We accomplished this goal this past week. Bob's parents came into town and stayed with us for a smidgen over a week and while they were here we ventured to several places one of them being this natural wonder. 

The pictures below do not do the place justice. The beauty and marvel of this natural landscape is beyond words. Being there reaffirmed my belief in showing my children as many parts of this beautiful country that I can despite the drawbacks of being away from family and friends.

The kids did well on the 45 minute journey to the lower part of the cave. Sarah walked with me most of the way and she did a great job. It gets very dark in some spots of the cave where lighting is limited and I imagined that it must have been a bit unnerving for her. We were asked not to touch anything, but I couldn't help "showing" Sarah what I was describing to her by allowing her to briefly feel the stalagmites in some places. I would hope that those running the park would understand that what the rest of our party could view with our eyes Sarah could only view with her hands. 

Josh came up to me at one point and mentioned that if his Nana was with us she would be cursing up a storm because of rough terrain in some spots. I mostly thought of my Dad while I was down in the caverns. I thought about how much he would love seeing this wonder of the world and how he would walk very slowly with his hands clasped behind his back meandering to each of the plaques displayed carefully reading each one.  I joked with my boys that when we do take my mom and dad to this place someday that we will have to plan twice the amount of time to go through it just so that my dad can take it all in. 
















On the ride home this mountain captured my attention and I could not help photographing it. This is about 1/2 hour outside of the caverns on our way back home. I am reminded constantly of the beauty that God displays to us everyday in our natural world. It is breathtaking and life changing, It always manages to take my breath away.






We had a couple of tuckered out little girls on the ride home.




 Living in New Mexico has been a blessing beyond words. The beauty here is astounding.



No comments:

Post a Comment