Tuesday, January 5, 2016

A Dinner Conversation

The kids and I were sitting at dinner tonight just talking about how long we would like to live if given the choice. I told the kids that I was gonna live to be 107 years old because when I was 7 I saw the Statue of Liberty's 200th birthday and I promised myself right then and there that I was going to see her 300th birthday. (I was sitting in my grandparents living room when I made this solemn vow to myself - in case you were wondering.) As we sat around talking about how old the kids will be when I am 107 years old Andy asked Sarah if she had the choice between living to be 70 or taking a pill right now so that she could see, but it would cost her 5 years of her life which would she choose? 

I assumed that she would take the 5 year life span cut (most likely because that is what I would have chosen if in her shoes), but I was mistaken when she answered, without hesitation, that she would rather to live to be 70. Even if it meant that she would never ever be able to see again. 

It is nice to know that despite the drawbacks to being blind and the struggles that MS/NMO present her with that Sarah still realizes that her life has amazing value. And that she plans on living to be an old woman. I take comfort in that. 



No comments:

Post a Comment