Saturday, January 9, 2016

A Heart of Gold

You see this girl over here to our left? The one with the wild look on her face? My free spirit. The one that I am usually writing about on this space about her latest attempt to exasperate me  and unhinge me? Yep - that would my Elizabeth. Elizabeth has been said to be many things in this sacred space of mine. And it is true that she is indeed all that I have written about - and then some. But I haven't told you one thing that I should have told you from the start about her. Elizabeth has a heart of gold. I often overlook that very important part about her because I am so busy trying to figure out just how to bring her from childhood into adulthood without losing my sanity and without her being arrested for some wild and zany thing she has done. That in and of itself seems like a full time job most days. But something happened the other day and it brought the size of her heart front and center and it made me look at her in a different light.

You see, I taken the girls to Target to spend some of the gift cards that they received for Christmas. Sarah knew exactly what she wanted as she has been eyeing the item (well, you know what I mean) for quite some time. When we got into the store we went to the toy department and found the section where Target keeps its version of American Girl accessories. Sarah picked out the Our Generation trailer that she had been hoping to get, but was bummed to realize that she did not have enough for the jeep that pulls the trailer.  Determined to still get the trailer she vowed that she would save her allowances until she had enough money to buy the jeep. Elizabeth had gone to Target to purchase some Legos. She absolutely loves Legos and was eyeing a particular set to match one that she had gotten for Christmas. As Sarah and Elizabeth were picking out their toys they were talking back and forth between one another. Sarah expressed her disappointment at not being able to get the jeep, but explained to Elizabeth that she would pick it up as soon as she had saved enough money for it. Elizabeth told Sarah this was a good idea as it would allow her to eventually have both of the items that she really wanted.

After the girls had their items in their hands and we were heading to checkout counter Elizabeth told me that she needed to switch something out and she would meet up with Sarah and me. Not thinking anything of it I told her that was fine. When Elizabeth caught up to us she put her fingers up to her lips to let me know that she wanted her purchase to be kept a secret. What she had done was exchanged the Legos that she had been hoping to get and instead purchased the Jeep so that Sarah would be able to have both to use. When we got to the car Sarah asked Elizabeth what she needed to go back to the toy department for. It was then that Elizabeth put the purchase in Sarah's lap to let her feel what she had bought for Sarah. "Surprise!", she yelled to Sarah with the biggest grin on her face. Sarah was beyond thrilled. My heart swelled that day with love towards my daughter and her selfless act. She was so happy to do this for Sarah. She loved seeing the smile on Sarah's face. It dawned on me that afternoon that this wasn't the first time that Elizabeth has given so selflessly and it certainly won't be the last.

She is the first person to empty her wallet for the Salvation Army at Christmas time. She is the first person to share any treat that she gets. She is the first person to see something and ask to buy it for another person because she just knows that they will love it. (What 'it' happens to be that we see.)

Elizabeth may be a lot of things. She is stubborn and strong-willed and unique and challenging and on and on. But she is also generous and loving and has a heart of gold. To be 9 years old and as selfless as she is is amazing. I am one proud mama.


1 comment: