Saturday, September 3, 2016

U-Pick On Douglas Farm



There really are a lot of cool things about living in the Pacific Northwest. I would be a fool not to acknowledge how much I can learn and experience while living in this part of the country. One of the things that I am really beginning to enjoy is the fact that I can get almost all of my food directly from the farms surrounding the area in which we live.

As the organic movement continues to gain steam I am finding myself becoming more and more  cautious about what I buy that is organic. I am fearful that what I think I am buying is actually not at all the product that I have in mind as big corporations are cashing in on the organic cash cow. I am fearful that those same corporations are going to influence how the government determines organic food guidelines and practices (more than they already have) and that the lines will blur so much that what was once deemed as organic food now resembles nothing of that original concept.

Because of my distrust of the government's ability to have my best interest at heart against big corporations who will eventually corrupt the organic movement all in the name of the mighty dollar I have been looking for what my alternatives are. This has led me to take a look at my local farmers to see what I can purchase from them.

In this light, the family and I went to a farm today where we were able to pick a variety of fruits and veggies. We all L-O-V-E-D being able to pick our own tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, carrots, and other veggies and fruits. It was fun. A lot of fun. Who knew that getting your hands dirty could make you feel so empowered? Plus - nothing beats the smell of a tomato plant. It reminds me of my grandfather's garden when I was a girl. And the best part about it was that it was so much cheaper than the grocery store. We spent $48 for: 10 lbs of apples, 4 pints of blackberries, 2 pints of cherry tomatoes, black beans, two different kinds of green beans, 3 large tomatoes, 2 roma tomatoes, a handful of tomatillos, 4 cucumbers, 3 bell peppers, a handful of cayenne peppers, two handfuls of banana peppers, carrots, an eggplant, a beet, 2 zucchini, and my flowers,

  We had so much fun that we made a pact to go back next week.




I got these beautiful flowers for $0.25 a stem!


Elizabeth loved pulling the carrots from the ground. 

Sarah is shelling black beans to soak overnight for tacos tomorrow. 



No comments:

Post a Comment