Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Plans For When I Can See by Sarah Gregg

It is not often that the wounds of Sarah's disease rip open. As time goes by the distance of all that we have been through and the new memories created with our new life as the mother, father, sister, brother living with a loved one who is blind have created some much needed space between the haunting ache that a ravaging disease creates.

Even Sarah has found ways to thrive in spite of all of her obstacles. You all know that. You have seen her through these posts accomplishing much and making the most of her new life. I forget that Sarah may have dreams of one day seeing again because I am so focused on creating a wonderful life for her as a blind person that I lose sight of the fact that while she will thrive as a non-visual adult she would still give a lot to have her vision back.

One night Sarah couldn't sleep and crept downstairs to get her braille writer in the middle of the night. In the morning, I found this list on the living room table. Before reading it, I asked Bob if he had seen it. He said he had and thought it was Sarah's Christmas list.

When I began to read the title of the list I instantly had tears spring up into my eyes because this list was no Christmas list. My heart broke (again) in a million different pieces when I read this list because it is a reminder to me that life isn't fair. The optimism that I try to live by gets blown out the door when surprises like this show up and is instead replaced by a fury that this is the world that we live. A world in which children face terrible diseases with uncertain outcomes and no cures.

This list is simple and beautiful and is filled with the things that you and I take for granted every.single.day.  Sarah just wants to be able to do the most basic things, but for her they will be the most spectacular things. This list is proof that the ordinary things in life really are the most extraordinary.

Without further adieu - here is Sarah's list:



Plans For When I Can See
by Sarah Gregg

  1. Stare at everything.
  2. Write my name, add numbers, multiply
  3. Draw anything
  4. Play Minecraft all night.
  5. Play soccer all day.
  6. Watch the latest movies.
  7. Write my ABC's ten times.
  8. Read and read and read.
  9. Look at pictures.
  10. Tell everyone I know (that I can see)
  11. Do my happy dance.
  12. Facetime people. (She doesn't like to do this right now because she cannot see anyone.)
  13. Drive a car.
  14. Beat Josh in FIFA.
  15. Party.

I cannot wait for the day when I can watch her as she checks off each one of these things on this list. I have HOPE that one day this will happen. And when it does I will shouting from the mountain tops for all of the world to hear. 





No comments:

Post a Comment