Thursday, February 22, 2018

A Post From Sarah

Dear Family and Friends,

I am trying to raise money for Skyview Horse Ranch. This is a place that gives horse therapy to kids in need. Skyview does not charge any money for any of their lessons. Everything offered at Skyview is free. I am trying to raise $1500 - $1700 for vet bills, food, and supplies for the horses at Skyview. Skyview needs donations to pay for things because they do not ask for money for their lessons.

It would mean a lot to me if you donated money to Skyview. Skyview has meant so much to me. I have done things I couldn't have imagined I would be able to do since going blind like saddling my own horse by myself and riding all by myself. I am so thankful for Skyview and I would like to do something nice for them by surprising them with a large donation.

It doesn't matter how much money you can give. All amounts are greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much,

Sarah

******************************************************************************

Dear Family and Friends,

In a time when it seems like everyone is asking for money I know it can be hard to decide who gets our donations, if anyone at all. There have been times when I have chosen to give, but there have also been times when I have chosen not to give. Sarah has been asking me for a long time for a way to help support Skyview. She wanted to set up a GoFund Me account, but I hesitated to do that in part because GoFund Me keeps a percentage of the money collected and also because it seems like everyone and their brother has started an account. I didn't want to do something that everyone else is doing. So, she asked if she could write a blog post in hopes that you all might be moved to donate to her cause.

If you decide to donate money to Skyview - please know that every single penny of it will be used wisely. The owners of Skyview, Larry and Hannah Swayze, are VERY good at spreading a dollar out. Also, please know that Sarah isn't expecting you all to contribute huge sums of money to this cause, but rather she is just hoping that a lot of the people who know and love her will contribute a little bit and that little bit spread over those lot of people will help her to raise the $1500 she is looking to raise. (If you have a lot of money to donate that is certainly welcome as well.)

Also, please do NOT make your checks out to Sarah. Please make them out to Skyview. You can either send them to Skyview directly or you can send them to our house. (Please PM for our address.) Sarah is hoping that you will send your checks (made out to Skyview) to her because she is hoping to give them to Hannah in a lump sum.

The address for Skyview is:

 Make checks payable to:
 
Sky View Horse Ranch
P.O. BOX 1047
Mulino, OR 97042

Please note that your donations are tax deductible.

The last time I asked for money it was to ride in the Pedal to the Point MS race. You all came out in spades and helped us to raise over $7000 (with the immense help of Sarah's friend Leah who alone raised $1500 by herself via a lemonade stand - if my memory serves me correctly).  You didn't let me down then and I do not anticipate you letting me down now. 

If you want to know why you should donate to Skyview the answer is this:

Skyview has taught Sarah that even though she is blind she can still do great things. Hannah has shown Sarah that her dream of owning an animal sanctuary can one day still come true.  Nothing has been handed to Sarah at Skyview, but step by step Sarah has learned how to saddle her own horse, ride her own horse, trot, canter,etc..She has ridden a trail ride on her own following the sounds of Hannah's horse in the lead. She is learning to feel capable again. That is huge.

When Sarah is on her horse or saddling or unsaddling it - you cannot tell that Sarah is blind. She does these things now with ease. She has confidence when she is at Skyview and that confidence carries over to her life at home too.

Skyview allows her to feel normal. It allows her to shine. It is a place where she can thrive. All of us want our children to have someplace where they feel on top of the world. Some place where life's worries and troubles melt away. Somewhere where he can be himself, or she herself. Some place where there truly is no judgement. Only love. That place for Sarah is Skyview.

I was nervous when I first began going to Skyview because it is a Christian organization and I didn't want every other word out of the staff's mouths to be Jesus this or Jesus that. That would have scared us off in a heartbeat. It truly isn't like that there. God is talked about only if it is brought up by the students/guests coming to the ranch. And the ranch doesn't care what religious affiliation you have, if any at all. They just want to help kids. (So, if their Christianity scares you away from wanting to donate - please don't let it.)

Sarah will be collecting money through the end of March. PLEASE consider donating. It is such a worthy cause for such a worthy girl.

Thank you so much!

Love,
Elicia

P.S, Here is the website to Skyview if you would like to check it out:

http://skyviewhorses.wixsite.com/skyview





No comments:

Post a Comment