Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Summer Days

Cicadas make their presence known. A heat wave has subsided taking the humidity with it. As soon as it was comfortable to do so windows were thrown open and the whole house seemed to sigh a breath of relief. Yesterday and today the wind has made its way into the house bringing with it the smells of summer - fresh cut grass, flowers, and rich dirt. A full heart rests in my chest as I breath deeply fully aware of how wonderful these days are.

School books ordered have arrived for the child learning at home with me again this year. School supplies have been purchased for the children heading off to public school in a couple of weeks. The house is a mixture of emotions - excitement, nervousness, anticipation, a bit of fear, and of course, hope.

Sadness and pride co-mingle in my heart. I always miss my people when they go off into the world on their own. Being all together, a complete 6, is what makes me feel most whole. Growing up requires leaving, this I understand, but the practice is much harder for me to embrace than the concept of it. Watching them go, I count down the time until we are all together again; watching them go fills me with a pride that no godly person would approve of, but I cannot help it. All four of them are such good people; such beautiful, wonderful human beings - and I played a role in that, how can I not beam with pride?

These summer days will slip on by; soon fall will be upon us. I do not wish to pause the time and make it last longer, I only wish to be fully present in the time I have before me. If I can master this then the time I do have should be time enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment