Tuesday, March 31, 2020

March's Reading List

I felt like I haven't done much reading this month, but as I gathered up my books I read more than I thought I did. I noticed that this month I read a lot of book on the lives of women in the Middle East. I am very interested in the lives of Muslim women, but also of life in that part of of the world in general. You will most likely notice this as you browse the books I read.


I am glad I read this book. It isn't something I will most likely read again, but it was worth reading once. If you like animals and/or running I don't think you'd be too disappointed with this one. 
Ultramarathon Man: Confessions of an All-Night Runner
Ok, so I wasn't a fan of this book. I have read several other books by ultra-marathon runners that I have really enjoyed (see here or here). There was something about the tone of the author that I found rather condescending an arrogant. I would not recommend this book to anyone. 


I have been eyeballing this book literally for years. I don't know why I have never read it before now, but I didn't. I really enjoy books about overcoming extremely difficult hardships. This book definitely fits that genre. There are one or two sequels to this book that I plan on reading. I would recommend this book to others. 
Father of Lions: One Man's Remarkable Quest to Save the Mosul Zoo by [Callaghan, Louise]
I thought this book was going to be more about saving the lions of this zoo, but it was primarily a book about this man's life and the politics of Iraq. I was disappointed in this book. 
This book was good. It was really good. This book covered the treatment of women in nine different countries: Pakistan, Afghanistan, Iran, United Arab Emirates, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Iraq, Jordan, Egypt. I enjoyed this book because it helped to understand just how different each of these countries really is pertaining to their interpretation of Islam and their treatment of women. I would read this book again. 
Nine Parts of Desire: The Hidden World of Islamic Women
Another great book - this follows the author as she journeys through several Arab countries. Because she is a female reporter she has access to the lives of women that male reporters do not. I found this book fascinating. 
The Second Chance Club: Hardship and Hope After Prison
Another topic I am keenly interested in is the disparity in American between the haves and the have-nots. I learning more about how other people live/their struggles/their successes, etc...Good book that I would recommend. 








January books read - 7
February books read - 8
March books read - 7
2020 total - 22


No comments:

Post a Comment