Saturday, May 9, 2020

41

May 7th was my 41st birthday. I had a really great day. The weather was beautiful which meant that we could take advantage of being outdoors. I spent the afternoon at McCormick State Park with Bob and the girls. It was beautiful. For the first time in a really long time I felt at home in nature. We walked a trail that crisscrosses a creek and spent our time lazily exploring its spaces. I felt at peace in nature which is something I hadn't felt since Sarah's seizure in the woods back in February of 2019. That sense of peace was a gift in-and-of itself. 

We ordered Chinese food for dinner and had an ice cream cake for lunch. Bob gave me a box of gifts all related to health. The girls and Andy made me homemade cards which were my favorite gifts of all. Sarah also gifted me some coupons which I normally just keep because they are so cute, but this year I decided to use. I have already gotten a massage and had an extra favor done for me courtesy of her thoughtfulness.  

Overall, it was a relaxing day which is exactly what I needed. 




At the entrance to the trail. 








I would say that 2/3 of the trail is in the actual creek bed. You crisscross over from one side of the creek to the other, or you can do like we did a lot of the time and walk in the middle of the creek. There are trail markings all through the trail. If I didn't see those I would never have believed that the trail actually runs through the creek. Not since Portland have we been on a trail that was actually partially in water. 





For the foreseeable future anytime I see a fern I will always think of the Pacific Northwest. 

Crisscrossing from one side of the trail to the other. 

Old life extinguished.

New life with untold possibilities. 




Hills and cliffs and rock ledges! What?! The Indianapolis area is so, so flat and cultivated that it is so nice to see that there ARE parts of Indiana that are hilly and wild. 






When you have lived in different parts of the country like I have you realize just how different the wild spaces can be. There is something that I find comforting about Midwest woods. That being said, I don't think that all wooded spaces offer that comfort that I seek. I know that sounds weird, but to me, it is a real thing. Some woods, both here and afar, feel ominous to me. Others feel wildly comforting and beautiful, and there are those very, very rare gems where the woods are just magical. 










Sarah had such a good time. She was laughing and exploring. That was also a gift. I love to see her having fun and being inhibited. 




My free spirited girl. 



















Game over when we saw these bad boys. This was the point where we realized we wanted to turn around and high tail it out of the creek trail. 



















No comments:

Post a Comment