Sunday, May 30, 2021

Our NC Home


 The home that we chose to live in is in an established neighborhood in Charlotte proper. It was built in 1982, and at one time you can tell it was something special. The crown molding (in the rooms that have it) is beautiful as is the wood fireplace. It has been in the hands of a rental company for nearly a decade now and you can tell that this house is seen as a business commodity rather than a home to love. It is worn out and under appreciated. The floor is uneven, some of the windows won't open (we are remedying that through the property owners), there are cracks in some of the walls and ceilings, the "repairs" that have been made over time are sloppy and unprofessional, and yet...This was the house that gave me a spark of recognition that this was the house for us when we toured it on our house hunting trip. (Bobby on the other hand did not like it one bit, and dismissed it as a potential property for us almost as soon as he walked through its doors.) 

We actually put in an application on another property here in Charlotte, but because of a snag from our Indiana landlords the property paperwork didn't get in on time and it was rented out to another applicant. I was okay with this (for the most part) because it offered  no fencing and no privacy, two things I was looking for when we moved down here. After some discussion I talked Bobby into applying for this house mainly because we were on a serious time crunch and because I refused to rent anything I hadn't walked through after our experience moving into our home in Indiana. (Let's just say that the photos shown online were NOT representative of the actual condition of the property when we moved in. I would have never rented that home had I actually walked through it.)

Our home here is dark because of the amount of trees, but I am hoping that winter will bring more light into the home once the leaves fall. The darkness has been a bit of a bonus as it has kept the house notably cooler in the 90+ degree temps we had last week.  I will need the extra light come winter though and look forward to it. 

Despite its condition (and incredibly small secondary bedrooms) there is something about this house that I really love. It is cozy and the trees surrounding the property make me feel like I am in a wooded wonderland. We have an abundance of creatures living in the back and front yard too. 

I look forward to all of the memories we will create in this home. 


The front of our house

Our entryway 

Living room

View from second floor


The dining room 
(my favorite room in the house)



The kitchen




The family/school/computer room
(Basically the catch all room. We are planning getting a small love seat, area rug, and small coffee table for this room, but I refuse to pay full price for furniture so we are scoping second hand sources.This is probably my least favorite room right now, but it will do.)




Deck/backyard. 
We are looking for a patio set, but they are going like hotcakes right now because of the time of year it is. This is our first priority in terms of getting the small list of items we would like to have for the house. 




Downstairs 1/2 bath. 

Second floor landing



Andy's room




Josh's room




Girls room - Sarah's side
(I was washing their sheets - otherwise their beds would have been made)

Girls room - Elizabeth's side

Kids' bath



Master bedroom


Master bath








2 comments:

  1. You are amazing!!! How did you get it so put together so fast! Looks very homey. Wish you the best memories!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Aunt Mary Lou. I think because we move so much I am getting to be pretty efficient in the take down and putting back together of a house. For the most part, the house does feel homey. I hope we have the best memories here too.

      Delete