Friday, June 6, 2014

Food Friday

Well, somehow I managed to do it. Our food expenses this week were $244 - and that includes the 2 days that I stayed with Sarah in the hospital. (Hospital food is not cheap.) I don't know that I will always be able to get my food budget down to this number as I had some frozen meat from Trader Joe's that I used, but I am hoping that I can at least come close.

Here are a couple of key things that I did:

1.) I planned the dickens out of our meals. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner were planned every single day. I made a conscious decision about every meal we were eating, and believe it or not this took a lot of work.

2.) I made a lot of our food from scratch. With the exception of 1 morning (in which we had eggs, bacon, and english muffins) I made everything out of the basic ingredients that I have in my kitchen. Lunches and dinners were that way as well (kinda).

3.) I included the kids in our food decisions. On Friday of last week I sat everyone down and asked them what they liked to have for each of the meals that we eat and also asked them what kind of snacks they would like to have on hand. Their input was invaluable because it gave me some new dinner ideas, but also got them involved and interested in what we were having. I did not hear anything negative this week about what we were eating because they all new before hand what our menu included because they picked it out!

4.) I only went to the grocery store twice. Once for a big trip and a second time for a couple of items I forgot to get.

So, what did we eat this week? Take a look:

Breakfast

French Toast
Pancakes
Muffins
Bacon, Eggs, English Muffins
Waffles
Cereal 
(One day only when Sarah was hospitalized and I was not home to make something.)

*We ate waffles twice. 
*All of the above items were made from scratch (except for the bacon, eggs, and english muffins).
*Eggs were organic
*Bacon was no nitrate, nitrate, no preservatives, sustainably raised, blah, blah, blah - you get the point.

Lunch

Left over dinner items
Peanut Butter / Jelly
Grilled Cheese
Veggies
Fruit
(We repeated these as the kids wanted.)

*Jelly was organic
*Bread was homemade for sandwiches

Dinners

Tacos
Turkey, Mashed Potatoes, Corn, Salad
Homemade Pizza
Chicken Parmigiana with Spaghetti, Salad, Broccoli
Hot Dogs and Jojos (Bob made this dinner for the kids the night I stayed with Sarah in the hospital.)
Lasagna, Salad, Cauliflower

*All of the dinners that I made were made from meat that is organic and sustainably raised (except for the turkey)
*All pasta was organic/whole wheat
*Pizza cheese was a chunk of mozzarella that I grated myself. 
*Almost all dairy used was organic (except for mozzarella and butter).



My point in telling you what was organic and what was not is for no other reason than to show you (and myself) that I was able to reach my budget goal and still buy healthy foods for my family. Not every item that I bought was organic, but a lot of them were. I try to buy all corn, wheat, and soy products organically because such a high percentage of those crops are genetically modified. Once my garden is producing veggies then my food budget should go down even lower.

So, I would say with certainty that even though this week was a lot of work. It was completely worth it. I do need to work on snack items for the kids as that seemed to be my only down fall. I bought (organic) tortilla chips and salsa for them, but other than that they did not have very many snacks besides fruits and veggies. They didn't seem too upset though as their bellies were full from their meals.


2 comments:

  1. Good freaking job! Where do you do your big grocery trip? I've never been to Trader Joe's since it's far. I do try to do a lot of shopping at Kreiger's and do you know how they compare? Meal planning is the pitfall of my food bill. I've tried but when other people don't feel like following it.... I'm working 2 nights a week so it goes out the window :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually shopped at Marc's and Giant Eagle this week, but that was because I still had some frozen meat from a leftover trip to Trader Joe's several weeks ago. It was a lot of work - I am not going to lie. It is going to take some getting used to that is for sure.

    ReplyDelete