Thursday, August 28, 2014

We're Moving Where???!!!???!!!

Since Bob has taken care of all of the logistics of this humongous move we are about to embark on I often feel very removed from the whole thing. So removed that I will stop in my tracks some days and think: "I am moving to New Mexico...I am moving to New Mexico!!!...Wait, I am moving to New Mexico? Who moves to New Mexico? What are we thinking?!" And then just like that one of my children will need me and my thoughts come right back to the here and now.

As of today our house is  on the market. Bob  bought his plane ticket for his departure to NM. His first day in the new office is Monday, September 8th.  We have a Realtor in NM, have been pre-approved for a new loan, and are thumbing through the houses that are available to us in our price range. Each of the kids has begun to weigh in on what they believe is the most important to them in a new house.

(Photo courtesy of:epodunk.com)
I feel like we are moving to another planet. I don't know if the landscape can get any different from where we live than the dessert of the southwestern part of this country. I hear some parts of where we are going are still very much like the wild west. I am worried that my liberal, hippy, free the animals, kumbya mantra will get eaten and spit out by some gun-toting, George Bush loving, tobacco chewing, meat loving rancher and his family. Or sometimes I will have thoughts like: "What if no one speaks English down there?" (I know that this is completely absurd, but these thoughts cross my mind because the only experience I have with this part of the country is seen on the news.)

Moving away from a life that you have built to begin another life is completely overwhelming, but also exciting. Part of me cannot wait to spread my wings and soar. The negative Nancy part of me thinks I am going to spread my wings and realize that they are weighted down with cement and I am going to fall flat on my face and ruin not only my life, but the lives of my four children. Yikes.


(Photo courtesy of: city-data.com)

But, it's too late to turn back now, so NM  bound we are!




No comments:

Post a Comment