Saturday, December 2, 2017

Our Thanksgiving


Holidays can be a bit tricky when living far away from loved ones. I have always tried to make sure that the holidays were well thought out because I know that being away from family can be hardest on my kids when they know that everyone else is together except for them.

We have definitely learned a thing or two in our four Thanksgivings away from family and friends, and so I set out to take what I have found to be successful and implement those things into our day. 

It was a laid back and calm day.  I did as much food prep the day before, so there was minimal cooking to do for me. Each of the kids were responsible for their own part of the meal.

I had crafts on hand in case anyone wanted to do them and we watched some football as well. 

We ate early because Andy had to be at work at 6:30 to make sure that all of those people who insist on shopping on a holiday could get their deals! Yeah!!!! Here's to materialism at its finest!!!! 

It was a nice day overall. Despite Andy having to work we made the best of it. And I am thankful for our day together.
I found a recipe on Pinterest for these Pilgrim hat cupcakes. For some reason my cupcake and buttercream frosting did not turn out very good, but the kids had fun making them regardless of their success. 





My homemade pies turned out pretty well. Andy loved the pumpkin pie and ate the whole thing by himself. 




My mom sent this flower arrangement to us. It was an unexpected surprise and it completely made my day. 

Miss Lily getting ready to eat some goodies.

Getting the turkey ready for baking!

I found a pretty decent dip recipe on Pinterest and have been making my own veggie dip. 


Making sure he has all of his ingredients to make his antipasto!
Add caption

Watching football and pretty his anitpasto. 



My dad makes homemade stuffing. We buy Stove Top. 


I don't know why she is doing this, but lately Lily has been laying half on and half off of her bed. It cracks me up. 

Blue skies. Even if only for a few moments were a nice gift on Thanksgiving. 

Our sleeping beauty. 



It had been raining the whole morning, so our porch chairs were pretty wet. The weather was warm though, so Bob spent the morning reading on the porch. 


I totally understand that this looks completely unsanitary. But the trash bag was just taken out of the box and  used only for the potato peels at that point and the potatoes were going right into that pot to be cut up on the counter in the kitchen.  

Something is rolling in and it doesn't look pretty.


Making crescent rolls. 
Viola!







Take one.

Take 2

No comments:

Post a Comment