Monday, November 5, 2018

A Walk In Solaris Park With My Favorite People

I am trying to carve out more and more intentional time spent as a family. As the kids are growing they are each seeking their own lives outside of our family which is how it should be, but it makes me want to savor these last couple of years as a whole family unit that much more. I want to reinforce the foundation that Bob and I have dedicated the past 19 years of our lives creating for these four human souls on loan to us.

 I cherish these moments greatly and am trying very hard to not take this time for granted. After all, it really does seem like just yesterday that the kids were 8, 6, 4, and 2.  In less than a month, Sarah will turn 14. The ghosts of those little kids that I thought would never get old have sometimes come back to haunt me as I stare into the faces of my 18, 16, (almost) 14, and 12 year old children. It is hard to take heed to the words spoken by those in my current place when you are in the thick of parenting littles. And while I feel that I did my best at appreciating the kids at all of the ages they were I still wish I could go back in time and do it all over again.

I would breathe in those moments long gone and savor them so much more. I would take more intentional time with my kids just to be with them and be together. But, as Mother Time so acutely reminds me, I cannot go back. I can only enjoy the present moment and its ever beating march forward. And so I am.

The leaves here are beautiful. I knew that  the Midwest was my favorite part of the country to celebrate  my favorite season, but I am blown away by its beauty. Less than 10 minutes from our home is park called Solaris Park. I fell in love with it the moment I saw its name because of its reference to the sun (Solaris means 'of the sun'.) I feel such a peace when I walking through the trails of the park. It reminds me a bit of walking the amazing trails of the MetroParks in Ohio. It reminds me of my life with littles. It reminds of where I have been and makes me appreciate being here before I am off again living in another city in another state. I love, love, love this park.

Bob and I decided to take the kiddos for a hike before the Browns game yesterday. We had so much fun. The leaves did not disappoint. I am so thankful that we are living in Indiana right now. I am thankful for the fall season and my family. I feel content and happy.

The trees here are a bit weird in the fact that there are places like this where it seems as if almost all of the trees have lost their leaves, but then there will be places where it seems like the majority of trees haven't lost their leaves. 



I was "pulling a Nana" as my kids say and making them take a ton of pictures. (A side note: my mom, from the moment Andy was born, became an avid photographer of our extended family's life. Every event - large and small - there are pictures of which my mom has dates and puts into photo albums. While we all kvetch when my mom takes out her camera every time we visit those photo albums are pulled out so that we can look through all of those memories. Bob especially loves looking at all of the memories of the past. So, while we kvetch we are really secretly happy she takes out that camera.)

I thought this mushroom family looked cool. 

I am surprised at how green this part of our walk still was. 









For Midwest standards this tree stood out from the rest. There was something regal about it that I loved. 

Love the bright orange leaves of that little tree in the middle. 



Yes! Elizabeth found a Woolly Bear Caterpillar. I love these guys. 





This tree looks like it has a face on it. Can you see the nose and pouting lip facing away from the camera? I stopped in my tracks when I saw it because it reminded me of 'The Kissing Tree'  - two trees that grew together and looked like they were kissing that was located in my favorite childhood spot: 272 Washburn Rd. 




The three kids were playing a game together at this point of our walk...


...while Bob was listening to Andy kvetch about how cruddy Midwest nature is and how much he wishes he could be in the West climbing mountains.  Andy really misses being out West.


Leaves!!! 

This trail was to peaceful. So peaceful. 


She was looking for a big leaf and she found one. 










Pine needles - a reminder of life PNW. 


My crew. 

No comments:

Post a Comment