Thursday, November 1, 2018

1000 Gifts

A couple of years ago I read a book that unhinged me. It was called, 1000 Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are by Ann Voskamp. I was at a place in my life where her words resounded within me.

 The whole book is underlined and highlighted because so much of it was stuff I did not want to forget. I have since read the book multiple times and am getting an itch to read it again, so I assume that sometime by the end of the year I will have read it one more time.

I love Ann's writing style. It unlike so many authors that I love. In fact, I cannot think of a single author that I know of that writes in the way that she does. In my opinion, she is one of the most unique writers out there.

The premise of this book is to learn to find joy - to be grateful in all of the little things in life - because that is what truly makes a life worth living. She took note of all of the little things in her life that she was thankful for in a notebook, and she noticed that over time  that she had so much more to give thanks for than she ever realized. In fact, her writing down all of these moments made her aware of even more moments and it became a contagious act of noticing all things in life that are good and pure and right, and celebrating those little things in spite of all of the bad and ugly and unjust. Her automatic pilot is to seek out the pessimistic side of life which is very much like me. But to consciously seek out that with which to be thankful? That takes some work, but the payoff is beautiful.

Inspired by her words, I too, went out and bought a notebook and began writing down all of the moments I have to give thanks for each day. I began this process in Portland, and then put it down for a while, but have recently picked up the practice again. Writing down several items each day makes me realize just how much I have to be thankful for. It is also really cool to look back on previous pages and see what I noticed to be thankful about in the previous months/year.

I plan on keeping up this practice for the foreseeable future.





No comments:

Post a Comment