Friday, September 21, 2012

Outside of Me




My children are so very often, just that, my children. I know that I (with my husband, of course) are raising my kids to become adults who will function outside and apart from me, but it is not too often that I have been able to glimpse who they are as individuals in their own right. As they all get older, and are establishing a life for themselves away from the home, I am able to catch glimpses of who they are in different roles besides 'son' or 'daugther', and I am truly amazed. I am honored to have them as my children. I am honored that someone (God, perhaps?) thought me worthy enough to be the most influential person of their childhood. Some days I feel that I am worthy of this job, and other days I think someone made a mistake because I am too flawed to be anyone else's guide through life. But, just when I think that maybe I shouldn't pursue having another child because there is no way that I am cut out to be a mother, I see one of my kids at school, or playing with friends,  or just living his/her life as he/she was meant to live it, and I know in my heart that this job was meant for me. Bob and I are doing a great job (perfect, ABSOLUTELY not), but a wonderful job none-the-less. I see it in the kindness my kids bestow on others. I see it in the love they give selflessly, and I see it in the generosity of their souls. I am truly the luckiest woman in the world.























No comments:

Post a Comment