Friday, December 13, 2013

Writer's Block

I seem to have a case of writers block right now. I cannot tell you how many blogs I have written, and then deleted, because I didn't like what I was writing. Blah!

Things are running pretty smoothly around here. School is going well.I am slowly establishing a routine for Miss Elizabeth (and the rest of the gang too) that seems to be working out nicely. Bedtime is getting smoother and smoother (knock on wood), and Elizabeth is no longer getting out of bed 50 times after I tuck her in for this and that.

Christmas lists have been made. Letters have been mailed to Santa. The kids decided not to ask for a trip this Christmas, but instead asked for just a few toys. I am very happy because this years lists are not filled with junk, but rather toys that I know will be played with. Andy and Josh are asking for a ton of Legos. They are so excited, and go to lego.com  almost daily to see the things that they asked for, and to dream up the city they are going to create after Christmas. Elizabeth is asking for an American Girl Doll and a kitchen set. Sarah would like an mp3 player and a pea coat. There are a few other random things that they are asking for, and that each of the kids is hoping they will get. Overall, it looks like it will be a good Christmas. I know that Santa is pretty much peeing his pants with excitement over gathering up the items on the kids lists. I know that he cannot wait to see their faces on Christmas morning.

We still haven't gotten our tree yet. We are super late this year with getting everything up. I don't know why, but all of the fall holidays have come at warp speed this year, and I have not really decorated for any of them. I get really bummed when I think about it because I do enjoy getting the house ready for each occasion, but it just seems like 'boom' the holiday is here and gone, and I never had a chance to get a box out of the closet.

I am still feeling pretty blah. I have been thinking the last couple of days about going back to school to get a master's degree in nutrition or some other advanced degree in nutrition. The enormity of information about food is amazing. Just when I think that I am making some sort of headway I am taken back 3 steps because of some new information I read about or learn. It embarrasses me how little I know/knew about food. I have always thought I was a little bit ahead of the curve in terms of enlightenment when it comes to the things I was putting into not only my body, but my family's bodies as well. Turns out I was way wrong. I wish I would have known back before becoming a mom how important good nutrition is, and how much it would play an important part of in my life.


1 comment:

  1. I understand those writing ruts very well! I also think your nutrition degree ideas sound great… I am always amazed when I meet nutritionists or others in the healthcare field who have never read, nor even heard of, books like Michael Pollan's Omnivore's Dilemma or In Defense of Food. Thinking of food in terms of component parts instead of looking at the whole food system and its production, seems dangerously myopic to me. Hope you all have a wonderful Christmas! -Kerry

    ReplyDelete