Tuesday, December 31, 2013

The Best Kind of Friends

In the hustle and bustle of life it is not too often that Bob and I have the opportunity to spend quality time with our friends. This afternoon was one of those rare moments when a group of us were able to set some time aside and gather together to celebrate the gift of friendship.

All of our friends in this group have young children, and it really is an honor to see them on the beginning leg of this crazy journey called parenthood. Bob and I have the oldest kids in the bunch, and it seems like not so long ago, we too, were toting around diaper bags and the such. I miss those times, and I hope that I can someday join their ranks and have another little one running around our home. It all goes by so quickly. The days can seem so very long, but those years? Yeah, they fly by.

 I have known the boys in this group since I was 18. They were all my husbands friends, and had been for many years prior to my meeting them. Because Bob and I chose to have children when we were rather young I didn't get a chance to really get to know this wonderful group of men until they met their future wives and began the process of settling down themselves. Each of these fellas met the most wonderful women, and I was honestly blessed to have each of them in my lives. We are all so different yet we still have found enough in common to forge strong bonds with one another. I have been fortunate enough to become close enough to one of them that I consider her my soul sister. I share an unbelievable connection with her that I find comes but only a handful of times in a lifetime. She is definitely an anchor in my life, and helps to keep me grounded and centered when the waves of my life seem to come crashing down on me. I especially cherish her love, support, and friendship.

I love this group of friends for many reasons. I love them because they make me laugh. We laugh so often and so hard that it is pretty much a given that at least one of us will have tears running down his/her face and our belly in stitches because of the hysterics induced by someone in the group.  I love them because they offered their love and support in some of our darkest hours after Sarah's diagnosis. I love them because they are good genuine people who would give Bob and I anything they could if we asked them too. I love them because of the memories we have shared together in the past and the ones we will share together in the future. I also love them immensely because no matter how much time passes between each of our get together's it seems like no time has passed at all, and we pick up right where we left off.

Friends like these are hard to find. Sure each of us have other groups of friends that we love and cherish, but it is really nice to be able to fall back on those people whom we have a long history with, as Bob and I do, with each of these four boys and their wives. It is also nice to have 4 couples who love each other dearly, who can get together and have a good time guaranteed.

I am always so grateful when we can get together. It doesn't matter if one of these couples lives out of state - we always find a way to be together and cherish our time with each other. I imagine we always will.

So, Stacy, Conor, Jenn, Matthew, Ted, and my dearest Meghan - I love you all. Thank you for being in my life, and in Bob's life. Thank you for offering your never ending support to us. Thank you for offering me the gift of true friendship. I will cherish it always.

No comments:

Post a Comment