Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Excited About the Future

No regrets living has gotten me so excited about not only my life, but the life of my family as a collective whole.It has been so long since I have felt settled and secure in knowing just where we are meant to be.

I am excited about making changes to our home.We are planning on moving the house around this weekend. It will take us probably until the end of the year to really make this place a functional home for us, but when it is completed it will be done just right. Bob and I  agree that we both need to be on board for all of the changes we are going to embark upon (which has definitely not always been the case with previous moves), and have been in talks just about daily on what we envision for our home. We know that we want to center our home on good food (which means a functional open kitchen) and creative spaces (we are thinking arts, crafts, music, reading spaces, building, etc..). Because our house is small we are looking at the best way to utilize  each space to the best of our ability without making it seem stuffy and overcrowded. We want out home to feel inviting and warm. We will be changing out some of the furniture for more functional spaces over time, but for the time being we will use what we have until we know for sure what we want. My goal is to buy used furniture where ever I can for both the cost effectiveness and the green quality of buying used instead of new. It is exciting to think about how things will look this time next year. The journey towards making our home more organic and in line with our value system is as exciting to me as the end result.

I am so excited about our garden too. I have wanted to grow a garden - a really good garden for so long. I am excited to create the space, plant the seeds, nurture them with water, good soil, and sunlight, witness their growth, and then enjoy the rewards of my hard work. To be able to grow food for my family - to know how the food was grown - is going to be such a rewarding experience for me.

I am also excited about the new avenues our schooling has brought us down. I have been very slowly venturing into play based learning for a long time, and am just now ready to admit that this type of schooling makes the most sense to me. I don't know what this type of learning looks like for all of our children, but I am certain that I will figure that out as time goes on.  This type of schooling just seems to be in line with the rest of our view on life and living.

 I am excited about our travels. Our good friends sent us the most awesome travel pack yesterday in the mail filled with an awesome book on all of the states, Mad Libs, a card game (for travelers), and two beautifully amazing journals for our memories and adventures. (It came with a card that looked just like Lily on the front cover. How perfect?) This care package made me realize (in a whole new way) just how amazingly awesome this year is going to be for us. It also made me realize how much I love my friends and family.

I am excited about celebrating our friendships. There have been several people who have really shown their love and support to us ever since Sarah's diagnosis. These people have allowed us our space to figure things out while also continuing to quietly let us know that they are here for us if and when we are ready to reach out. Sometimes they have known just what we needed - even before we did - and provided whatever service it was with the grace and love that only true friends can offer. Now that our family is moving onto more steady and solid ground (hopefully) we can begin to give back to those who provided us with the true gift of friendship. Their deeds and actions no matter how small were huge in our hearts and minds. They will not be forgotten. I cannot wait to begin to offer them their half of friendship that they deserve.

If you would have told me 2 months ago that I would be as happy today as I am I would have called you a liar. There were certainly days where I did not think that there was much in life to be excited about. I truly, truly, appreciate the place where I am at right now because I know how dark life can sometimes be.  It's funny how the circumstances of our life are still the same - not much has changed in that way - but it seems that everything has changed. I am ever so hopeful for the future. I am excited, and it is all because what was once Dark is now Light.

2 comments:

  1. Reading this makes my heart smile for all of you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy to see the word "excited" in your title! It's a tough, tough thing to do to pull yourself out of that darkness!

    ReplyDelete