Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Growing A Garden

I have long wanted to grow a garden, but since this was never intended to be our forever house I have always put off growing the large beautiful garden of my youth until we got to that place. Because of all of the changes that have occurred in our lives as of late, and the revelations that Bob and I had on the importance of staying in this home I am growing a garden right here in the space I have now.

I have been reading a lot about gardening and have become quite concerned because while seeds do need water, dirt, and sunlight to grow it seems that that combination of things is a bit more complicated than I had originally thought. I am nervous that my garden is going to be an epic failure kinda like last years "garden" that produced only a couple of cherry tomatoes and a pepper or two. (In the garden's defense I think it would have helped if I actually took the time to water it more often than twice a summer.)

Being a bit more serious about my venture into gardening this year both for the joy of doing so and because of the health benefits of knowing exactly where this food has come from I have poured over a couple of seed catalogs I ordered online for longer than I care to admit (who knew there were 50 gazillion different types of tomatoes?!). Although I could have ordered enough seeds for a garden three times the size of the garden I am going to have this summer I decided to heed caution to the one piece of consistent advise I have read in all of the gardening books I have poured over: don't go too big your first year.

Here is what we will be growing (or attempting to) in our first garden:

Watermelon
Tomatoes (both regular and cherry)
Pumpkins
Radishes
Pepper
Lettuce
Cucumber
Popcorn
Corn
Carrots
Green Beans
Zucchini
Summer Squash
Lavendar
Cilantro
Basil
Parsley

I am ordering most of my seeds from this catalog
Sorry - I couldn't figure out how to turn the picture.

 because all of the seeds are from non-GMO sources and all (or so I have been told by the magazine) are from non-Monsanto sources. 

I plan on ordering the seeds this by this weekend. We'll see what this adventure brings. Hopefully, lots of good delicious food. Wish me luck -  I know I will certainly need it. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I just wanted to encourage you. Last years growing season was not good for most vegetables. This year will have to be better. One piece of advice is to not grown popcorn and regular corn as you may have cross pollination. The regular corn could be tough. I have been growing a garden for several years and there is always somethign that grows really well and something else that does not so stick with it. It is well worth it and you have plenty of kids to weed and water. :) Christie D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christie - Thank you so much for the gardening advice! I will definitely not grow both types of corn. I did not even think about cross pollination. If you think of anything else please don't hesitate to let me know. I need all the help I can get!

    ReplyDelete