Saturday, April 19, 2014

Criticism


“The motive behind criticism often determines its validity. Those who care criticize where necessary. Those who envy criticize the moment they think that they have found a weak spot.” 



Criticism is a fickle thing. What one person deems with critical eyes another sees with no faults. It is only when trying to look at the person behind the criticism can it be deemed valid advice or just something that should go in one ear and out the other. 

I am the type of person that takes criticism - especially when it catches me off guard, and in which I think no criticism is warranted - very hard. I think about it and think about it and think about it, and then I stew about for a really long time. I take a person's own envy and make it out to be so much more than it needs to be. What I should be doing is taking a better look at the source, and determining if that source is a credible person in my life. If not, I am going to start to let those critical thoughts pass right from their mouths into one of my ears and right out the other.  Even better, I think I am going to try and just avoid those persons altogether because those types of people will always be critical of something. 

I am a good enough critic of myself, thank you very much. I am trying very hard to work on my own critical voice. Between myself, my family, and those select people I consider my true friends I have enough people to point out (constructively) my flaws and inaccuracies. I don't need false witnesses to critique my life or the lives of my children. 

Part of learning to be Real, for me, means letting go of all of those who are enviously critical and only letting those who care stay in my life. Maybe that means losing some people I considered good acquaintances, but for the first time in my life I am okay with that. The freedom that comes along with knowledge is uplifting. It is like a weight has been lifted off of my shoulders.
So, go ahead and be critical. Yell and scream and spew your poisonous thoughts that are meant to disrupt. Slyly sneak in a comment or two here or there. Make your opinion known to anyone and everyone else. Just know that I will no longer be listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment