Monday, April 28, 2014

V - I - C - T - O - R - Y for Sarah

I feel like a warrior who has just won a long hard fought battle against an opposing force that was so much larger and more powerful than myself. I feel relieved. I feel exhausted. Most of all, I feel grateful that I stuck to my guns and fought for what needed to be fought for.

Sarah is going to be getting the plasmapheresis treatment that I have been asking for for the last 6 months or so. She will be admitted to Akron Children's Hospital tomorrow morning, and will remain there for the next 2 weeks.. I am  very scared because Sarah will have to have a port placed near her clavicle. I don't want this procedure to hurt her.

I am not sure what additional medications she will be one. I thought I read somewhere that steroids are given along with the plasmapheresis, but I am not sure. We will be getting a call from the nurse of the admitting neurologist in the morning once she has lined up a surgical team to place the port into Sarah.

I am grateful for Dr. Rensel. She heard what I saying this morning, and agreed with my assessment of the situation. She went ahead and found a neurologist at Akron Children's that would oversee Sarah's care for the next 2 weeks because she knew that this was the hospital where we preferred to be. (Which coincidentally is one of the doctor's who told us that she could not help us and that we should seek help somewhere else.) She put in some extra legwork to get Sarah the care that Sarah herself preferred to have, and I appreciate that.

Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers these next two weeks. She sure could use it.



No comments:

Post a Comment