Sunday, April 6, 2014

Just What The Doctor Ordered - A Night Of Family Fun

I don't know if it is because we have a gaggle of kids and getting everyone to agree on the same thing is difficult, or if it is because going out can be pretty expensive, or if it is just that we don't take advantage of the time we have - we don't get out and do much as family. Going out to go bowling or to the movie theater is just not something that we do very often or like, ever. We talk about how we would like to do those things, but executing those thoughts has never been our strong suit.

I decided to take take the bull by the horns yesterday and do something about our poor record of getting out of the house and doing something non-nature related. Now, let me be quite honest we did not have all of the kids last night. My mom had scheduled a special weekend with Elizabeth, and she was at my parents house having a wonderful time and Andy was invited to my sister's house by my brother-in-law so that they could hang out - which is perfect for Andy because my brother-in-law is just a big kid at heart. So that left us with just Josh and Sarah.

Bob and I decided to take the kids to their favorite restaurant, The Golden Corral, (which if you have never been there - is a prime example of what is wrong with the world) and then we went to an indoor play place called Fun-N-Stuff where we rode go carts, roller skated, played laser tag, and the kids and Bob did some type of jumpy thing with bungee cords (I know - great explanation of that event, right?).

We all had a blast. We ended up spending about $100 for the evening, and if we had Elizabeth and Andy with us it would have been about $150. I never spend that kind of money on nights out because I always thought that was really expensive, and we could be doing something better with that kind of money. Spending that cash was worth every penny. I am going to try and start planning family nights like that once or twice a month. I know that it will be expensive, but I always stress about money, and there is always just enough no matter what our monthly expenses are. Because of the type of lifestyle we have chosen to live we will never be rich, and I think that I will always worry about money, but I also think that last nights money was so well spent that I will find a way to make it happen as often as I can.

To watch my family laughing, and to be apart of that laughter was so much fun. To be able to create a memory like last night was amazing. We didn't do anything crazy or super cool, but we lived with no regrets and had a ton of fun in the process. That is what living is about.

No comments:

Post a Comment