Sunday, October 12, 2014

I am blessed

I think that it is completely fair to say that I have been truly blessed when it comes to my children. So far, I have yet to deal with many of the struggles a lot of parents face, especially when it comes to teenagers. My first (and only right now) teenager is Andy who happens to still be one of the sweetest young men I know. He is not the moody, sullen, mouthy, secretive teenager I expected once his 13th birthday arrived. Maybe he is unique among my children and my other three will make up for his lack of typical teenage behavior, but maybe they won't.

I would like to think that part of the reason Andy has been such an easy teenager is because my children and I have an open door policy when is comes to communication. My kids know that they can come to me and talk to me about anything. And I mean anything. I don't judge them for their questions or ridicule them - we just have an open dialogue about whatever it is that is on their minds. I enjoy these conversations, and I get the impression that they do too. This helps me to learn more about them and their thoughts as they share their lives with me, and helps me to see where they are potentially headed in their life.

Watching them grow up has been an amazing experience for me. I get to see these four beautiful beings mature and learn and fulfill their destiny's right before my eyes. I would have never guessed in a million years before I became a mama just how lucky I would be in my life. How truly blessed I would be.

I am honored that they share their lives with me as I know so many kids choose not to share their lives with their parents. I do not take their trust in me lightly. I hope that they always choose to come to me, but I know that for some things in their lives they may need another person to bounce situations off of. I have tried to convey to my boys that they can also share things with each other if they feel that they cannot come to me.

Both of my boys are beginning to navigate through some pretty typical teenage feelings - first crushes, heartache, confusion, friend issues, etc...I am so lucky that they choose to share their lives with me because they don't have to. I hope that I can do them justice and be filled with the wisdom that they need from me when seeking out advice. I hope that I can
offer the listening ear that they need when looking for a trusted loved one to hear them out.

Being a parent is a privilege, and I am humbled by the trust that God has placed in me with these 4 beautiful souls.



No comments:

Post a Comment