Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Last Time(s)

Two weeks from today the kids and I will be spending our last morning as Ohioans. At 1:10 pm we will be departing from Cleveland Hopkins Airport aboard an American Airlines plane to begin the next adventure in our lives. These next two weeks will be filled with so many 'last things'.

The start of this is the boys last home soccer game...I know that I will be pretty emotional today as I sit and watch my two boys play on a team with a core group of boys they have grown to love over the years. We, the boys and I, have talked about this season for many years as it would be the first of potentially four years that they will have the privilege to play together. (One year of middle school and then, hopefully, 3 years of high school.) Soccer has always been a big part of our life, so walking away from a team of boys that Josh has played with years and years (and that is hands down my favorite team) is going to be extremely hard. Knowing that those boys will grow and get better without my kids alongside them is sad for me and it is sad for my boys too.

The reality of us moving is becoming more and more real with each passing day. I am trying to make sure that we fit in as much as we can over these next 13 days while we still reside in our home town. I want my kids to be able to enjoy each of their 'lasts' - last sleepovers, last play dates, last soccer games, last hikes in these woods, last romps on the trampoline, last video game challenges among friends, last bike rides to knock on doors to see if best friends can play, last times with cousins and other family...

I know that there will be a lot of sadness - saying good-bye is never easy - but I know this move is the best thing for our family at this time in our lives. Besides, we aren't saying good-bye for forever. Just for now until the next time we can make it back for a visit.

I know for certain that with today's technology that those who are meant to become lifelong friends will make the time to keep the connections open and going. I know that our door is always open to anyone who would like to make the trek down to see us, and I know that we will continue to make extended trips back to Ohio for the foreseeable future.

No comments:

Post a Comment