Saturday, July 4, 2015

Happy 4th of July

I am thankful that I live in a nation where we can debate whether legalizing marriage between people of the same sex is "right". 
Because not every person has this right. 

I am thankful that I live in a nation where a family can choose whether to homeschool their children, place them in public school, or to send them to private school. 
Because not every nation allows this. 

I am thankful that I live in a nation where those who defend our freedom do so voluntarily and are not forced to do so.
Because not every person has the ability to choose. 

I am thankful that I live in a nation where I can not only choose my religious beliefs, but I can talk openly about them without fear of being persecuted. 
Because not everyone has this right. 

I am thankful that I live in a nation where a person can choose to have no children or a bunch of children. 
Because I know that this same privilege is not extended to everyone. 

I am thankful that, even though the system has flaws, that every person is granted the right to a fair trial in an unbiased court of law.
Because some people aren't granted a trial at all. 

I am thankful that I live in a nation where even though it seems as if it is run by an elite few, is actually really run by those of us who vote - whether at the polls or with our dollars. 
Because a lot of people don't have voices or votes in their countries. 

Despite it's many flaws I am proud to have been born an American on American soil. This country is an amazing country (which is why so many still scramble to gain access to its borders whether legal or not) full of opportunity and freedoms that I take for granted every day. 
Not every person has this same privilege. Some would give anything to stand in my shoes. 

Happy 4th of July!




No comments:

Post a Comment